HELP!! ( D.O. LOR)

Issues specific to osteopathic medical education and practice as a DO.

Moderator: OlufunshoBY

HELP!! ( D.O. LOR)

Postby Jack-sprat » Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:03 pm

Hi everyone,

I am in kind of a bind that I hope someone can help me out of with some advice. I applied to both MD and DO medical school and got interviews from both. The DO school does not require but "strongly [encourages]" a letter of recommendation from a DO. I do not know any DOs; can anyone tell me how to go about getting such a LOR.
Jack-sprat
Scutophile
Scutophile

Postby OlufunshoBY » Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:12 am

if you don't know any, then you cannot get a LOR. You don't want a LOR from someone you don't know, do you?

you said you already got interviews, right? so what do u need a LOR for again?
OlufunshoBY
Fellow
Fellow

Postby corndog » Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:15 am

Jack-sprat, I'm not sure how exactly the applications go for DO schools, but in MD schools, by the time interviews are offered, you have already sent in your LORs. If this is the case in your situation, it would not be useful for you to go seeking a LOR from a DO you do not already have some kind of relationship with (as Olufunshoby said). I think that they mostly want to have assurances that you know what the differences are between a DO and an MD in their patient care, and you would get this by working with a DO. They mostly want to make sure you are actually interested in osteopathic medicine and not just applying strictly as a backup to MD schools which most people do. To address this problem, I think you would be well served to do some research on the specifics of what the DO's job entails and what sets it apart from the MD. Mostly, just be informed as you would with any interview.
corndog
Sub-I
Sub-I

Postby mdille2 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:30 pm

corndog wrote:Jack-sprat, I'm not sure how exactly the applications go for DO schools, but in MD schools, by the time interviews are offered, you have already sent in your LORs. If this is the case in your situation, it would not be useful for you to go seeking a LOR from a DO you do not already have some kind of relationship with (as Olufunshoby said). I think that they mostly want to have assurances that you know what the differences are between a DO and an MD in their patient care, and you would get this by working with a DO. They mostly want to make sure you are actually interested in osteopathic medicine and not just applying strictly as a backup to MD schools which most people do. To address this problem, I think you would be well served to do some research on the specifics of what the DO's job entails and what sets it apart from the MD. Mostly, just be informed as you would with any interview.

Actually for DO school, LORs are sent in later in the process and some schools are quite stickly about a lor from a DO. Most Osteo school require a LOR from a DO or MD, but prefer a DO.
mdille2
Premed Moderator
Premed Moderator

Postby corndog » Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:47 pm

Marcia,
Isn't the basis for requiring a lor from a DO showing a certain level of involvement and awareness in the specifics to osteopathic medicine. That to me seems the main point of specifically asking for one from a DO because any letter writer can attest to your qualifications and personality. I just thought that by showing an understanding of what it mean to be a DO plus a normal batch of LORs would outweigh getting a letter from a DO at the last second who knows nothing about you. A bad LOR, while rare, can sink you with the adcoms. By all means, try to get the LOR, but make sure you don't just ask some random DO without any kind of relationship.
corndog
Sub-I
Sub-I

Next

Return to Osteopathic Medicine (DO)