Chances for a DO program?

Issues specific to osteopathic medical education and practice as a DO.

Moderator: OlufunshoBY

Chances for a DO program?

Postby Crunchy120 » Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:07 pm

Hello everyone,

I am currently attending a very difficult military school on the east coast and have a 3.24 GPA as a Biology major. Not only do we have academics, but other institutional obligtions as well. I know my GPA isn't as high as others but thats mainly due to the fact that time is very strained here with other duties. Will med school review boards consider this or not? I am minoring with a concentration in molecular and cellular biochemistry as well. Furthermore I have 2 years of research including numerous poster presentations and a published paper through NCUR. I will also be commissioning as a 2nd LT. in the US Army. I was curious wether or not with my current background, I am eligible for a med school, specifically a DO program in the US. I will be taking the MCAT this spring. Is it even worth the time to apply or should I just stick with my army job?

Thanks for listening,

-Random Cadet
Crunchy120

Postby krust3 » Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:37 pm

you're fine. apply, you've got a nice sounding story and resume already. 3.24 is sufficient for DO and you should apply to MD schools depending on your mcat score.
krust3
Premed Moderator
Premed Moderator

Postby Crunchy120 » Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:07 pm

Thanks for the advice. I was pretty worried about my GPA for grad schools.

Respectfully,

Random Cadet
Crunchy120

Return to Osteopathic Medicine (DO)