Physician assistant or Nurse practicioner

Career and education discussion for nurses and nursing students. LPN/LVN, BSN, RN, MSN, Doctor of Nursing.

Moderator: CaribMD

Postby momtwo » Sat Jul 01, 2006 3:02 pm

Here where we live an EMT is lower than a Paramedic. There are also levels of EMT(EMT-B is EMT Basic and EMT-I is Intermediate). I think some EMT's are paid here (most are volunteer) whereas I think all paramedics are paid here. (I may be wrong). In other places though I think the words are used to mean different things.

My daughter thought Duke was next to impossible to get into. She was shocked when she got in.
momtwo
Scutophile
Scutophile

Postby wildmountainchild » Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:56 am

I'm an NP. I work in an ER. We have PA's here as well and honestly as far as I can tell, we do the exact same thing. We just came about it in different ways, ie medical model vs. nursing model.

I choose nursing initially b/c I really liked the idea of actually "caring" for a patient, not just treating them. And being an NP has served me well in that regard. But since I've gotten into ER work the tempo of the environment favors a medical model. BUT...I feel NP school really prepared me well for it regardless. And, at least at my hospital, the PA's and NP's get along well.

BUT, I do plan on going to med school after a few more years of this. I'm having a great time, I get paid 100k a year (was able to get my helicopter pilots liscense) and I work three 12's a week. But I do think about being able to specialize more, so I hope to gp to med school in my mid to late thirties.

As for getting into NP school, mine was very competitive. I already had experience as an EMT/Searh and Rescue Tech/Firefighter. Plus good grades, impressive volunteer record, and excellent references. There were only 22 slots and about 600 applicants. Probably the best thing you can do for your application is to find some interesting and meaningful volunteer opportunities.

Oh..and work on languages, I think that helped as well. If you are interested in asking me nore questions you can private message me. I think the application process for NP and PA school is very similar.
wildmountainchild

Re: Physician assistant or Nurse practicioner

Postby CaribMD » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:22 pm

CaribMD
The One
The One

Previous | 

Return to Nurse & Nursing Forum