How to Get there

For applicants who have been out of school for a few years, or are planning to have a family in medical school, or have other non-traditional qualities.

Moderators: CaribMD, AL_emt

How to Get there

Postby ftredrrr » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:47 pm

Hi guys, I am in desperate need of some advice and will keep this as brief as possible. After 3 years working as a software engineer I have realized my passion is medicine. My GPA for undergrad was 2.75 with no medical school relevant sciences taken.
This puts me in an interesting situation. I realize my low GPA is detrimental to my application, but I feel I am a blank slate with my sciences. After researching, these are my options: - Take my required pre-reqs at CC (~$7,000) - Enroll in a 4-year public school in General Studies and go there full time for 2 semesters (~$14,000) - Attend a 1-year post-bacc program (~$20,000)
After looking at my options I realize SGU and Ross are my best options for medical school. My question is, what is my cheapest option to make my application competitive enough to get in both SGU and Ross? Assuming I get a 4.0 and a 28 on the MCAT.
ftredrrr

Re: How to Get there

Postby md2020 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:39 pm

If you want the cheapest, quickest route to an MD, go to Poland. I don't know how you'll do in the sciences, but even if you do well in the prerequisites, there's no guarantee that you will excel in med school. It's pretty risky to go to the Caribbean, 1 failed class and you'll have to repeat a whole semester which might set you back a year or worse you're thrown out. How will you recover from that? you just can't. It will hurt to lose so much money, time, not to mention the embarrassment of failure. If you're planning on going outside of the US for med school, Europe is a much better option than the Caribbean (US MD > Europe MD > Caribbean Top 3 > US DO). You won't have to deal with the stigma of being a Caribbean grad, there's a very low chance that you will fail out (they give you several chances to recover), tuition and living expenses are cheap, you will have the opportunity to travel, have fun, relieve stress, you'll have all the amenities of home, you won't have to be completely surrounded by medical school 24/7...If you don't want to waste a lot of time preparing for the MCAT and applying, there is one 4 year program in Poland that doesn't require it (Medical University of Lodz). It's a US style program with the option of doing 4th year clinical electives in the US and learning the Polish language is not mandatory. In recent years, there have been several success stories of Americans getting Family Medicine and Internal Medicine residencies back home and also really competitive ones like Radiology. I would highly recommend thinking about choosing Europe over the Caribbean.
md2020

Return to Non-Traditional Premeds