Non-Trad I WANT TO BE A DOCTOR

For applicants who have been out of school for a few years, or are planning to have a family in medical school, or have other non-traditional qualities.

Moderators: CaribMD, AL_emt

Non-Trad I WANT TO BE A DOCTOR

Postby jjcurtis » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:51 pm

Hi everyone, I'm not new to the sight but I am new to posting.
I am 23 a wife and mother of two.. Honestly, I've never declared exactly what I've wanted to do with my life, never truly committing, but always keeping a watchful eye on forums such as this, keeping track of the results of match day and the percentage of my particular minority accepted into medical school each year! Originally upon graduating high school five years ago I was a student at Georgia Southern University, major undeclared, rapidly became married, lived, worked and now have two beautiful boys. My husband and I saved to allow me to return to school and finish what I failed to complete 5+ years ago. So here I am, a 23 year old freshman (freshman because I decided to start fresh and didn't apply as transfer) at a new university majoring in micro bio. LOVING every moment of it and realizing that my true destiny has been with me my entire life. Medicine is my calling. Patients, stress, competitiveness, debt, tears, joy, FULFILMENT. I mean what else is there? I'm writing this as my first out loud proclaim. I have a long ways to go before MCATs, Apps, and interviews, but I will be sure to update my story as often as I can. Are there any other "wanna be" MDs with similar stories?

P.s I didn't just wake up and decide I wanted to be a doctor. The OB that delivered both of my children had allowed me to shadow her, my mother was a nurse (before passing), my aunt was an airman (before retirement) my grandmother executive position at blue cross blue shield (30+ years then retirement) all of the men in my life are police officers or military men (grandfathers dad stepdad brothers uncles), so you can say I have a family of servicemen and service women. I've always had a connection with medicine health care and serving others. It just took me a while to realize that what I thought was a hobby is actually my life.
jjcurtis

Re: Non-Trad I WANT TO BE A DOCTOR

Postby CaribMD » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:50 am

Hello, You are the perfect age, I was 41 when I went to medical school, you will be under 30, awesome. The years since in college will only help you. You have time, enjoy the dream and goal, work hard and take only as many courses as you can do well with a family. You do not have to carry a full load.

BTW I'm From WayCross Ga and my daughter is at Valdosta State!

Go for it!
CaribMD
The One
The One

Postby shayPS » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:35 am

I am in a similar situation. I am 29 mother of two girls and a wife. I have a bachelors degree in Social Work and wanting to go back and take a few pre-reqs before taking MCAT and applying to med school. I always wanted to be a doctor and in high school took all medical classes and science but when I got into college I got married and thought I couldn't have both ( be a doctor and have a family). After 5 years of staying home with my children I am ready to go back to school and reach for that dream. My kids are school age now and my husband supports me 100%. I have also found that many moms are going into medicine and doing just fine being a doctor and having a family. There are websites like: mommd.com and mothersinmedicine.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shayPS

Postby GregoryMorgivy » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:44 pm

One of my room mates didn't get his bachelor's till 24 and got the wrong bachelor's degree too! He majored in PPE at a liberal arts college and when we met he was doing a post-bac program in our university's college for non-traditional students. He worked hard though and in two years was able to matriculate to the university's med school. So, I don't think the age thing is a bid deal.
GregoryMorgivy

Postby CaribMD » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:39 pm

GregoryMorgivy wrote:One of my room mates didn't get his bachelor's till 24 and got the wrong bachelor's degree too! He majored in PPE at a liberal arts college and when we met he was doing a post-bac program in our university's college for non-traditional students. He worked hard though and in two years was able to matriculate to the university's med school. So, I don't think the age thing is a bid deal.

I want to make this clear: There is no "Wrong Degree" but there are courses you should take before applying to medical school.

The more interesting the degree with high GPA will stand out.

GL
CaribMD
The One
The One

Return to Non-Traditional Premeds