How overwhelming is MCAT prep

For applicants who have been out of school for a few years, or are planning to have a family in medical school, or have other non-traditional qualities.

Moderators: CaribMD, AL_emt

How overwhelming is MCAT prep

Postby NagudiB » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:18 am

I'm not taking it for awhile, and I'll be thumbing through my books a bunch before I take it (power outages in Africa just give me the urge to read ochem by candle light lol) but I was wondering if it would be doable to take Kaplan prep over the course of a few months while taking inorganic chem as one of my prerequisites. Kinda bummed I didn't get it out of the way in undergraduate but what are ya gonna do? Oh and I'll be working as a nurse's assistant...still gotta eat and sleep somewhere.

So...is the class too much? Should I take inorgranic first then the class?

Dumb question too-- 8 credit hours = inorganic 1&2 right?
NagudiB

Re: How overwhelming is MCAT prep

Postby joogla » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:12 pm

That's alot. It is doable but it will take longer than you think with all your responsibilities. You may have to start studying for the new MCAT. The class won't be too much but having taught the class, most of your learning 60-80% of it, will be on your own. The class helps organize the high yield info but is not sufficient by itself. I would take inorganic first and then the class. No single class will give you 8 credit hours, even in the semester system. So yeah, approximately 2 classes of intro chemistry or one year if you're on the semester system.
joogla

Re: How overwhelming is MCAT prep

Postby Sawank » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:09 am

Studying for the MCAT is no easy feat. It requires months of preparation and getting into the medical school of your dreams. But manage time to study with responsibilities will be a challenge. If you manage your time efficiently and utilize effective study tools, you’re on the right track to achieving a score ideal for a competitive medical school.
Sawank
Scutophile
Scutophile

Return to Non-Traditional Premeds