I need Advise GPA 2.9 MCAT plan on retaking

Issues specific to osteopathic medical education and practice as a DO.

Moderator: OlufunshoBY

I need Advise GPA 2.9 MCAT plan on retaking

Postby Rozstripe » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:51 pm

Hello guys,
I wanted to get some feedback because i am a little uneasy about my situation at the moment. I was accepted to a Caribbean medical school UMHS. I attended for a month and had to take a leave of absence because i didn't find enough funds to pay the school since the school isn't federally funded yet. THIS LEAD ME TO A SPIRAL OF DEPRESSION! so now I'm looking at the option to study in the US where i believe i can find more options to pay medical school. I though of the idea of applying to a DO school, KCOM to be exact.I plan on retaking my MCAT, since i know my 15 mcat score will not get me into a DO school. My GPA is at 2.9 which is also another stress factor for me. what steps do you guys recommend I do? or do i have it planned out with just retaking the MCAT and scoring >28?
Rozstripe

Re: I need Advise GPA 2.9 MCAT plan on retaking

Postby Percival B » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:05 pm

Your situation is that you have to take a year off and re-apply to different schools?

What is the exact reason why you couldn't continue at the Caribbean medical school? Because banks are unwilling to loan money if the school doesn't have certain accreditations?
Percival B
Gunner
Gunner

Postby Rozstripe » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:17 pm

The school didn't have federal help as in fafsa or any type of lone service. I just want to know my chance to get into a DO school since I believe it would be easier to pay than a carib medical school with no accreditation of federal aid
Rozstripe

Postby Brady Kinesia » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:35 pm

With the college grades, because of the circumstances where you are out-of-school and financial limitations, it's not likely that you can enroll in some kind of post-bac program this year, and take enough more science courses to really raise the GPA.

So, MCAT is the big variable that you may be able to control, or change, by doing much better on the test. I don't know what the criteria are for D.O. schools but 15 MCAT is far below average.
Average score for all test-takers (not for students who get in, just for everyone who takes the exam) is about 23 or 24, I believe

If you are absolutely intent on re-applying to other schools, I would recommend practicing MCAT with real AMCAS practice tests first, to get a sense of how you might score. If you don't do dramatically better, then you will have wasted time, and basically doomed a US medical school application.

It has to be much better than the first time, and 15 ---> 28 is not easy to do

- Brady
Brady Kinesia
Sub-I
Sub-I

Return to Osteopathic Medicine (DO)