KevinMD article on med school interviews

post and read interview feedback from your medical school visit.

Moderator: AL_emt

KevinMD article on med school interviews

Postby ReturnToMed » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:33 pm

Nice article about med school interviews - a bit intense though: "1. Your interview performance is critical."

http://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2013/07/med ... ficer.html
ReturnToMed
Gunner
Gunner

Re: KevinMD article on med school interviews

Postby Percival B » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:41 pm

Good points

Fair warning to pre-meds that they need to think more about interview skills and less about numbers:
One surprising AAMC study found that 8% of applicants with GPAs above 3.8 and MCAT scores above 39 didn’t make it into any medical school to which they applied

And also:
Evidence is what imparts sincerity and believability to your responses.

A very good point, I think. So, in an interview situation, you have very limited time to articulate the answers to an open-ended question, such as: "What are your strengths"? Therefore, lead it off using anecdote from real-world experience. That story is the evidence supporting your claim to have a certain personal quality, from which the inference can be made. Don't say: "I think I have qualities X, Y, and Z", and force the interviewer to prompt you for examples.

Ambiguous point
Prove to me that you really want to be at our school, and that there’s a reason you chose to apply to our school. Medical schools have differing missions and goals, and this question is the perfect opportunity to demonstrate your “fit” with this school.

There is some truth to this in that different medical schools have somewhat different character. But his imperative to "research every school carefully" contradicts the necessity for most students to apply to a broad range of schools. Not very feasible, and also what does it mean exactly, "fit" or not "fit"? There isn't as much difference between schools (or between medical students) as he would have one believe . . .

Bad points

As interviewers, we’re amazed by the quality of today’s applicants. In fact, many of us wonder if we would get in to med school today. “I can’t believe how much she’s done,” is something I hear time and time again from my colleagues. The sad reality, though, is that sometimes stars on paper are less than impressive in person.

Another sad reality is: that guys like Samir Desai, MD are the ones pushing pre-meds to do ever-more-absurd stunts to try to "impress" admissions committees. To the point of doing things that they never would have been inclined to do of their own volition. And to the point of becoming caricatures, it's almost comical.

My mantra is: “If you can imagine another applicant saying the same thing, then your answer isn’t good enough.”

This is pompous and ridiculous, the medical school is most likely interviewing several hundred students, but he expects the successful applicant to come up with something on-the-spot which has never been said by any of the others?

- Percy
Percival B
Gunner
Gunner

Postby eliteK » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:06 pm

This article has some good info hiding between the lines. I think what the author is saying basically boils down to "show us that you're human." I understand what he's saying about cliché responses and vague answers. I've helped a number of pre-med students with their application essays, and I can tell you that just about every one of their first drafts could have been written by the same person. "I have a passion for helping people." How I loathe that sentence. It says nothing about who you are, what your goals are, and what you've actually done to move toward those goals.

I don't think the author is suggesting that you be 100% original all the time. He's warning against cookie-cutter responses to cookie-cutter questions. The interviewer/reader is going to have the same plan for every applicant. I think your goal should be to get them away from that plan. Your interview/essay should take them somewhere interesting and unexpected. Make them want to know more about you.

Does anybody have a successful interview story to back me up? (Or, you know, to prove me wrong ;)
eliteK

Postby Percival B » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:15 am

I think what the author is saying basically boils down to "show us that you're human"

No, it means "Show to me that you're different [Just like all of all of the other 'different' people]"
Which is how the accepted medical students end up being so similar - fake diversity.

There is also an element of self-congratulation and sadism, in that Samir Desai, MD wishes to control access to a desired resource, and thereby force young people to jump through ever-more-absurd "flaming hoops" in order to get into the school.
Percival B
Gunner
Gunner

Postby topmedicalschools » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:15 am

Very nice article on med school interviews . really enjoy o red this article i think it should help me alot during my medical interviewing
topmedicalschools
Scutophile
Scutophile

Return to Medical School Interviews