University of Nebraska

post and read interview feedback from your medical school visit.

Moderator: AL_emt

University of Nebraska

Postby Guest » Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:03 pm

Day begins at 1030, I drove 3 hours to get there that morning.

First the dean gives a presentation, seems like a nice guy, then interviews are 11 - 1 with tours given by students after and before various peoples interviews in disorganized groups.

Interviewer Doc calls your name and brings you to a conference room in the hospital; there is a row of about 5 conference rooms that people are interviewing in.

During my interview 3 separate people knocked on the door and looked in the room. They were faculty with other interviewees looking for a place to go to interview. Obviously they did not assign specific rooms.

The interview was relaxed with one doctor and only asked questions about things on my application (did not read it beforehand, closed file).
The hardest question was "Tell me about yourself..."

Overall the process here seemed disorganized and I was not all that attracted to their school. I am glad I have been admitted at another school that I am very happy to go to. Students giving tours complained about terrible teaching and nothing to do outside of school in Omaha.

Lunch was a cold burrito that was difficult to eat with formal clothes on, Financial Aid presentation was given at the end of the day, most scholarships for Nebraska residents, In state tuition given to most out of state matriculants.

Postby GonnaPLayDoc » Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:27 am

Sounds like a circus.
GonnaPLayDoc
Sub-I
Sub-I

Different Experience at UNMC

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 25, 2005 2:56 pm

I had a very different impression of UNMC during my interview day. We started our day in a very impressive conference room where the Dean of Admission gave an introduction. I went on a tour and found that most of the students I talked to were very content with their education and happy with their choice of UNMC (they could have been ringers). I then had an interview with an M2 and the Dean of Admissions. There were no interruptions during the interview. I returned to the conference room to a catered lunch: tossed salad, hot chicken parmesan, rice pilaf, and a vegetable dish. We had the most delicious desert, an apple baked in a crust wrapped around it with a delightful sauce. Following lunch we were given a financial aid talk and our day ended promptly at 2:00pm.

My experience during this interview day was consistent with an earlier 2 day visit back in the spring. The first day, I observed at the Medical Center, spending most of my time with the liver transplant team during their weekly meeting to discussion potential transplant patients. The following day, I spent an hour with the admissions staff, had lunch with 3 medical students, toured the facilities, and sat in on an afternoon class in the new Research Center classroom.

any responces?

Postby kidmagic » Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:55 pm

Has anyone heard back from UNMC?
kidmagic

Medical School Interview Feedback

Postby valrossie » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:47 am

There are many learning opportunities for student doctors while they are in school, including a healthy blend of didactic and practical lessons. By the end of their training, most students in the U.S. have their fingers on the pulse of domestic medicine, but medical education cannot always impart the same lessons learned by students who participate in medical missions to developing parts of the world. The experience that I have gained personally from traveling outside the United States has undoubtedly shaped me into a better student and I have become increasingly confident in my abilities as a a future clinician.
-------------------------
valrossie
Nebraska Drug Addiction
valrossie

Next

Return to Medical School Interviews