MCAT Study Ideas

MCAT preparation and implications of MCAT scores.

Moderators: cheechootrain, CaribMD, AL_emt

MCAT Study Ideas

Postby AppStateAlex » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:41 pm

Hi,
I am planning to take the MCAT in about 2 more years. I am a non-traditional student and I believe I have great study habits. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on studying for the MCAT with so long to prepare for it? I was thinking I would start studying now, even though I don't have organic chemistry yet. I am also not even on my second level introductory courses in biology or chemistry yet. I figure if I study what I can now, it will be burned into my brain after 2 years of studying the same material. Any one else have any suggestions or ideas? Also, any comments on what you are doing, personally, to better prepare for the MCAT, I would love to know that as well. Thanks.
AppStateAlex

Re: MCAT Study Ideas

Postby MCATtutor » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:15 pm

Full Disclosure: I am a tutor for The Princeton Review
Reading and reasoning skills are incredibly important for the MCAT (and not just for the verbal section!) That is usually the skill set that my students struggle with most because it takes so long to change ingrained reading and thinking habits. You're in good position because you are starting so early. If I were you, I would start working on this immediately. Traditional reading comprehension skills are important, but the verbal section is called "Verbal Reasoning" for a reason. It goes above and beyond traditional reading comp. topics like main idea, tone and inference. I'm going to assume that you're already reading challenging material on a daily basis. Beyond that you can start gradually familiarizing yourself with the types of questions asked on the MCAT and reviewing the content. You might want to slowly start working through the review books like our MCAT Verbal Reasoning and Writing Review. However, you do not want to start burning through prep material prematurely. You want to build the underlying skills so you have a great foundation when the time comes to turn your attention to test prep (3-6 months before your test date).

Good Luck!
MCATtutor

Postby Brady Kinesia » Mon May 27, 2013 7:11 am

You can get some of the official AAMC practice tests and start studying them independently. Then at least you "know what it is that you don't know", meaning you can see the whole scope of the actual tests, and by taking the practice tests, see exactly what will be required

https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/mcat/preparing/
Brady Kinesia
Sub-I
Sub-I

Postby elitea » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:21 pm

Hi AppStateAlex,

It's been almost a year since you asked about studying tips. How is your studying going? Were you able to take some of these tips and use them for your benefit? If you need any other helpful ways of studying for your MCAT, just ask away, and I can help.

Happy Studying!

elitea
elitea
Scutophile
Scutophile

Postby jasonwatson11 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:13 am

Hey, I need some help regarding MCAT. How to start preparing for this. If you have some tips then please share it with me.
jasonwatson11

Next

Return to MCAT Forum