Where do I start?

Career and education discussion for nurses and nursing students. LPN/LVN, BSN, RN, MSN, Doctor of Nursing.

Moderator: CaribMD

Where do I start?

Postby calypta » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:10 pm

Hi all. I've come here because I'm very lost as to what my first step needs to be to becoming a nurse. I think I understand that I should first work toward becoming a nursing assistant so that I can work and continue to work toward a BSN at the same time, but I am so confused about where to start and which school to choose.

I have a high school diploma, but I am 30 years old and have *never* been to college at all. I got married and had kids young and I just recently separated from my husband who has always held me back from higher education. Now I am faced with fending for myself and I have always wanted to be a nurse and have a career that not only makes ends meet, but is rewarding and life affirming. Other than that, I really have no idea where to start.

Also, is anyone familiar with FAFSA? My brother said I should apply for it and I may be able to go to school with no upfront cost and pay it back after I graduate while I'm working, which is really the only way this is going to work as I've been a house wife and mother for the last decade.

Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated. I'm in the St. Paul, MN area and I prefer online courses because my kids are home schooled through an online public school and I will have to also pick up a part time job.

Thanks in advance! :)
calypta

Re: Where do I start?

Postby JH-DNP » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:22 pm

FAFSA is a Free Application for Federal Student Aid. Schools use it to determine for what type of financial assistance (grants like Pell Grants or loans) you might qualify.

There are lots of pathways into nursing. I'm assuming since you have kids that you'd like to attend locally. You can check into the local universities... even community colleges. Look at their course catelog to see what type of nursing programs they might offer. Visit the admissions office to find out what you must do to be admitted. Take a tour of the campus.

Since you have been out of school for a while, you might want to consider starting off by taking a refresher English and Math course.
JH-DNP

Re: Where do I start?

Postby JH-DNP » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:24 pm

By the way... you can learn more about FAFSA here on the government web site: http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/
JH-DNP