Pulmonology with a DO

Issues specific to osteopathic medical education and practice as a DO.

Moderator: OlufunshoBY

Pulmonology with a DO

Postby capltd29 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:03 pm

Hey All,

I think I'm developing a slight interest in Pulmonology/Critical Care medicine.

I haven't applied yet, but I am considering doing DO school. I work as a scribe in the ER and there are a few DO's that work in the ER, their level of care/expertise appears indistinguishable from our MDs, at least from my perspective. They all just seem more laid back, and a bit nicer.

I know of a DO neurologist, Palliative Card Doc, and a few PMDs. All of our pulm/cc staff are MD's with degrees from Yale, UVA, and a few other top tier MD schools. I've heard that you can do almost the same things as a DO, but I haven't specifically heard of a DO Pulmonologist/CC Doc. I was wondering how rare this type of thing is.

Thanks
capltd29

Re: Pulmonology with a DO

Postby Christa Jones » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:19 am

Becoming a pulmonologist is a long process. After medical school the you need to complete an internship and residency training in internal medicine. This would provide you with intensive knowledge on all organ systems and practical experience of working with patients. Then you must have to complete additional fellowship training in pulmonology, to become a pulmologist. Though the process is long but has benefits when it comes to job prospects and salary.
Christa Jones

Postby CaribMD » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:15 am

capltd29 wrote:Hey All,

I haven't applied yet, but I am considering doing DO school. I work as a scribe in the ER and there are a few DO's that work in the ER, their level of care/expertise appears indistinguishable from our MDs, at least from my perspective. They all just seem more laid back, and a bit nicer.

I know of a DO neurologist, Palliative Card Doc, and a few PMDs. All of our pulm/cc staff are MD's with degrees from Yale, UVA, and a few other top tier MD schools. I've heard that you can do almost the same things as a DO, but I haven't specifically heard of a DO Pulmonologist/CC Doc. I was wondering how rare this type of thing is.

Thanks

Simple answer
ANything an MD can do a DO can do since they are 100% licensed the same, Physician
also DO's can do MD residencies :wink:
CaribMD
The One
The One

Postby Christa Jones » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:17 am

There is only a simple difference between these two types of physicians. The D.O.s have been specially trained to perform osteopathic manipulations on patients. They generally view the whole body of the patient rather than treat specific symptoms or illness. Their work involves the use of their hands to diagnose injury and illness and to encourage body's natural ability to heal.
Christa Jones

Postby bapassey » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:51 pm

capltd29 wrote:Hey All,

First, I know a few DOs that are pulmonologists.

Second, don't get to caught up in what you think you want to become right now because it is going to change about a million times throughout medical school. Don't get me wrong, there is cool stuff about pulmonology, but keep an open mind with each new specialty you see at school. There is a lot of time before you have to commit to one specialty.
bapassey

Next

Return to Osteopathic Medicine (DO)