D.O. School acceptance

Issues specific to osteopathic medical education and practice as a DO.

Moderator: OlufunshoBY

D.O. School acceptance

Postby GVHopeful » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:31 pm

Is it reasonable to think I could get into a D.O. school with a 3.15 GPA and 9's on the MCAT?
GVHopeful

Re: D.O. School acceptance

Postby CaribMD » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:40 pm

GVHopeful wrote:Is it reasonable to think I could get into a D.O. school with a 3.15 GPA and 9's on the MCAT?

no
3.1 is too low
your chances are very poor

if you apply you should also think about the Caribbean 3 too AUC SGU Ross
CaribMD
The One
The One

Postby bapassey » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:08 pm

GVHopeful wrote:Is it reasonable to think I could get into a D.O. school with a 3.15 GPA and 9's on the MCAT?

I don't think it's unreasonable. 3.15 is on the lower end, but I have classmates that had worse GPA's and MCAT's. With that said, you are not a shoe-in. You need to have other areas of your application that have substance. Service, LOR's, and experience can go a long way if you present it well.
bapassey

Postby CaribMD » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:18 pm

bapassey wrote:

I don't think it's unreasonable. 3.15 is on the lower end, but I have classmates that had worse GPA's and MCAT's. With that said, you are not a shoe-in. You need to have other areas of your application that have substance. Service, LOR's, and experience can go a long way if you present it well.

Hmm, your in a DO school with classmates who have a 3.1 and lower than 27 MCAT?
I've talked to many DO students in the past and those rejected who had to go to the Caribbean and what I got from them was 3.2 and 28 or better is what seemed to be what was needed.

Also undergrad GPA is different from Post bac and Masters and I know people with 3.0 who were accepted but they had a 3.4 and 3.7 Masters / post bac GPA also

I agree the whole application matters more so yes I also would try to apply to DO

Based on the stats though the chances are very low but you never know.
CaribMD
The One
The One

Postby bapassey » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:03 pm

I definitely agree that with those stats that this applicant isn't a shoe-in anywhere, but really just saying that it's not unreasonable to give it a shot as long as the rest of the application is on the up and up.
bapassey

Return to Osteopathic Medicine (DO)