Number of schools to apply to?

Issues specific to osteopathic medical education and practice as a DO.

Moderator: OlufunshoBY

Number of schools to apply to?

Postby trublue943 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:22 pm

I am a nontraditional student. I graduated from Loyola School of Nursing in 07, I have been working full time as a nurse in a hospital setting since then. Within 2 years of working, I decided I wanted to become a doctor and completed the science prereqs at a community college. I took the MCAT twice, the first was 23P (7P, 8V, 8B) and second was 24O (8, 8, 8). My cumulative GPA is 3.67 but science GPA is 3.9. I have letters of recs from a DO, my nurse manager and 2 science faculty from the community college.

My MCAT score is very low but I applied anyhow, because retaking the exam a 3rd time is dumb. I applied to handful of MD schools, but I wanted to know how are my chances of getting into DO programs? Should I apply to more than 9 DO schools?
trublue943

Re: Number of schools to apply to?

Postby bapassey » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:32 am

I have seen many people with lower scores get in. What you really need is to show the schools that you have a real desire to become an OSTEOPATHIC PHYSICIAN, not just a doctor.

You have letters of recommendations from DOs, so now when you write your personal statement explain to these schools why you want to become a DO. Did any of them use OMT? Did they do any manual manipulation? Explain what you saw different in their treatment of patients and why that has inspired you to be a DO.

This was the approach I took when applying. I had a higher MCAT, but a lower GPA than you. I initially applied to 12 DO schools and no MD schools (I only wanted to be a DO and schools really liked that). I filled out 8 secondary applications, got 4 interviews and made it into all 4 schools.

What I am really trying to say is that you show them that you want to be a DO, not just a doctor, and your chances go way up.

With your scores I would look into schools like:

LECOM
LMU-DCOM
WVSOM
WCU-COM
RVU-COM

Apply to more, but these ones seem to match better than some others for you.
bapassey

Postby Aisha Bennett » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:16 am

I don't think you need to apply for more colleges. Though you have a low MCAT results, still you have recommendations from DOs which would add to your personal statement. Also your two years of experience in nursing will help you in explaining the schools about your passion of becoming a DO.
Aisha Bennett

Postby cahillcahill » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:59 am

Not needed. your two years of experience in nursing will help you in explaining the schools about your passion of becoming a DO.
cahillcahill

Postby JamesWebb » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:59 am

Well, you have a strong passion of becoming a DO. Also you have two years of experience in nursing, that's enough. Try for that. All the best wishes! :)
JamesWebb

Return to Osteopathic Medicine (DO)