Physicians with DO's.

Issues specific to osteopathic medical education and practice as a DO.

Moderator: OlufunshoBY

Physicians with DO's.

Postby VessleOfGod » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:56 pm

I was just thinking about becoming a DO instead of an MD. What types of physicians are mostly DOs? And what types of medical jobs are better to go in as a DO rather than MD. Does it matter?
VessleOfGod
Scutophile
Scutophile

Re: Physicians with DO's.

Postby CaribMD » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:26 am

VessleOfGod wrote:I was just thinking about becoming a DO instead of an MD. What types of physicians are mostly DOs? And what types of medical jobs are better to go in as a DO rather than MD. Does it matter?

Does not matter
DO=MD
Meaning that DO's do everything, DO's match into MD residencies
MD's cannot match into DO residencies. Not fair huh?

DO and MD are both licensed as a Physician

in contrast
PA and NP's are not licensed the same, may do the same work at times but the scope of practice is different.

Scope of practice for a DO and MD is 100% same

:wink: :mrgreen:
CaribMD
The One
The One

Postby Aaliah thomas » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:46 am

Both D.O.s and M.D.s complete an undergraduate Bachelor’s degree followed by four years of medical education. Osteopathic medical schools emphasize the philosophy of maintaining health, training students to be primary care physicians first. Consequently, upon graduation osteopathic physicians serve a year-long rotating internship in the primary care areas. More information about this career is available in the following site.Hope this information would help you in deciding your career.
Aaliah thomas

Postby bapassey » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:56 pm

CaribMD wrote:Does not matter
DO=MD
Meaning that DO's do everything, DO's match into MD residencies
MD's cannot match into DO residencies. Not fair huh?

DO and MD are both licensed as a Physician
Scope of practice for a DO and MD is 100% same

:wink: :mrgreen:

CaribMD is almost spot on. There is one difference. DO's have an extra 200 hrs of manual medical training (OMT). While a large number of DO's quickly ignore this training, many will take it and implement it into their practices. Having received much of this training myself I can honestly tell you that it will enrich my practice and benefit my patient population greatly.

So ultimately I'd say that CaribMD is pretty much 99.5% on target. There is very little difference between the choice of going MD or DO.
bapassey

Postby emt2er-doc » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:27 pm

Aaliah thomas wrote:. Consequently, upon graduation osteopathic physicians serve a year-long rotating internship in the primary care areas. .

I am going to have to disagree with you. Osteopathic Physicians, of which I am one, are trained in the same material as our MD counterparts with the addition of OMT and a different way of looking at things. However, when it comes to training you MAY have to complete a 1 year rotating internship. Not in primary care just a traditional rotating internship before going onto your specialty. This is specifically so that you can become a licensed DO in 1 of 5 states, which at the time escape me although PA is one of them). However, if you have no intention to be in any of these 5 states there is no reason to do a traditional rotating internship and you can go right into the specialty of your choice.

DO's are not trained specifically for primary care. We are trained to practice medicine with a little extra tool in our bag of tricks.
emt2er-doc
Sub-I
Sub-I

Next

Return to Osteopathic Medicine (DO)