Non-trad, a bit ignorant of the application process

Issues specific to osteopathic medical education and practice as a DO.

Moderator: OlufunshoBY

Non-trad, a bit ignorant of the application process

Postby aquablue8 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:17 pm

Hi,

I will be 49 in August, have an overall 3.3 GPA due to some F's in art 20 years ago, (long story). Plan on retaking the ones that are offered to get grade forgiveness. Have a 4.0 BAS, I still need Bio2, Chem2, Physics 1&2, & Organic 1&2. I got a B in Bio1 and a C+ in Chem 1 due to schedule overload.I should have the other classes complete by Spring 2012. I want LECOM bad and will do the post bac if I need to. My question is, when do I apply? I know I need the MCAT first and cannot take that until after Spring 2012. My clock is ticking!! Thanks!
aquablue8

Re: Non-trad, a bit ignorant of the application process

Postby CaribMD » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:39 pm

aquablue8 wrote:Hi,

I will be 49 in August, have an overall 3.3 GPA due to some F's in art 20 years ago, (long story). Plan on retaking the ones that are offered to get grade forgiveness. Have a 4.0 BAS, I still need Bio2, Chem2, Physics 1&2, & Organic 1&2. I got a B in Bio1 and a C+ in Chem 1 due to schedule overload.I should have the other classes complete by Spring 2012. I want LECOM bad and will do the post bac if I need to. My question is, when do I apply? I know I need the MCAT first and cannot take that until after Spring 2012. My clock is ticking!! Thanks!

WOW 20 years ago? You will need all prereqs if they are 20 years ago. You will need to do well too.

Normal advisers suck at nontrads, go to OLDPREMEDS.COM and ask away, they are nontrads like us.

Grade forgiveness, real grade forgiveness is what is taken off the transcript. If its there it counts.

DO schools do calculate the science GPA differently with retakes but they still see the F's.
Since they are 20 years ago they do not impact you as much but C's now will.

I'm 47 I understand how hard it is. I'm finishing my boards now.

Also with that GPA you will need to look at more then just one school.

GL.
CaribMD
The One
The One

Return to Osteopathic Medicine (DO)