Failed chemistry, what now??

Preparing and applying for medical school.

Sponsored by the Premed Status Report. Analyzes over 20 variables to estimate your chances of getting into medical school.

Moderators: cheechootrain, Vonsmack, AL_emt

Failed chemistry, what now??

Postby uwhusky » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:10 pm

I am a freshman at the University of Washington, Seattle and am pursuing the pre-med route. I am a biochem major, and going on to my spring quarter I failed chemistry 142 twice. I still want to do pre-med but I dont know what to do from here. Should I go to a community college and do my science courses there? Should I take a break and continue my science courses so I can come back with a better transition? Or should I go on to major in Economics (my back up major) and come back for science courses later? Im so confused and dont know what to do right now..I received a 1.3 first quarter.
uwhusky

Re: Failed chemistry, what now??

Postby mikemd/phd » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:58 pm

This decision is obviously up to you; therefor, guidance is really the best we can give to your question. Nobody is going to make that choice for you, except for yourself. That being said....

Genetics, molecular biology, physiology, and biochemistry are all courses that seriously require knowledge of chemistry to do well in, or even satisfactory, for that matter. There are also many more courses that require chemistry than those I listed.

The physical and biological science portions of the MCAT require quite a bit of knowledge in chemistry, but thats not to say that scoring well on the verbal section might improve your score, if you know what I mean :) .

The bottom line is, you are going to need to know chemistry throughout your pre-med career in order to well in your biochem course work, as well as the MCAT. Without a good knowledge base of chemical reactions and their mechanisms, you will epically fail at a biological science major!

Now, I am sure there have been exceptions where a person (certainly) has been able to get D's or C's in chemistry courses and still make it into medical school. What concerns me, though, is that you are struggling with what we call "baby chemistry," which is VERY easy compared to the novel, outlandish nature of its predecessor, the dreaded Organic Chemistry.

Hopefully this sheds some light on your situation.

I wish you the best of luck for whatever route you take!
mikemd/phd
Scutophile
Scutophile

Postby mikemd/phd » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:08 pm

Have you already discussed your situation with your pre-med advisor? If you don't have a pre-med advisor, have you talked to your regular academic advisor? In my experience, they are a wealth of knowledge and can help you out A LOT with your decision.
mikemd/phd
Scutophile
Scutophile

Postby uwhusky » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:01 am

Thank you very much for your help! I have talked to my academic advisor but they just advised me to take math next quarter and maybe try another major..but I dont know whats best for me right now. I dont know if I should take chemistry at a community college and take other courses at the University or take it again next year..I honestly dont know right now..
uwhusky

Postby CaribMD » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:29 am

uwhusky wrote:Thank you very much for your help! I have talked to my academic advisor but they just advised me to take math next quarter and maybe try another major..but I dont know whats best for me right now. I dont know if I should take chemistry at a community college and take other courses at the University or take it again next year..I honestly dont know right now..

WOW

What is going on?

Are you studying at least 4 days a week?
Giving the subject a lot of attention?

CHemistry is essential to medical school, if you cannot pass the basic courses then........ What will you do?

How would you pass Organic chem or then Medical school Biochem?

I do not know what to say? medicine is not for everyone.

So tell me, how do you study? premeds have less time for friends and other things usually, its a life style not everyone can or wants to do.

Math is not the answer to Chem. So many advisers suck. Yes you need basic Math skills a basic level of Calc, but other then that Chem is about hard memorization and practicing equations.

So lets talk here............
That's Dr. Carib now! Graduated Aureus U of Med 2011
CaribMD
The One
The One

Next