Non-traditional applicant chances?

Issues specific to osteopathic medical education and practice as a DO.

Moderator: OlufunshoBY

Non-traditional applicant chances?

Postby mkubala » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:56 pm

Hi,

I will be applying to medical school soon (to enter in 2012). I would like to know what my chances are because my numbers aren't that high. My undergrad GPA was 3.4 overall (3.6 major) with undergrad research experience. I do not have an MCAT score yet but I don't expect to get above a 30: I graduated undergrad in 2008 so I feel too rusty. I will be graduating with a master's in Clinical Laboratory Science from Rush University in Chicago this spring (I will work as a Medical Technologist next year). My master's thesis is in molecular oncology with a well-known phd here. I currently work in the University of Illinois at Chicago pathology lab, tutor grade/high school students, and I have several doctor's office/hospital jobs on my resume.
Obviously the main thing I am worried about is not getting a 30 on the MCAT. I will apply to UIC, but other than that I will stick to DO schools. I've been told I "interview well," but I'm just afraid I won't make it that far with a low-ish MCAT (I'm thinking 25-27). Do I still have a decent chance at admission? I'm worried sick, thanks in advance
mkubala

Return to Osteopathic Medicine (DO)