Should you retake the MCAT?

MCAT preparation and implications of MCAT scores.

Moderators: cheechootrain, CaribMD, AL_emt

Re: Should you retake the MCAT?

Postby CaribMD » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:27 pm

SoccrGrl09 wrote:I've been reading threads with regards to low MCAT scores and have a few questions.
I took the exam last year in August and got a really low exam score, a 21R. I graduated in 2007 with decent grades. I didn't have the money for a prep course, so I studied on my own with examkrackers last year (2009). I left the mcat test feeling really down. I decided to take it again this year and actually just took it today (June 17th), and felt like I guessed too much on it again. I took my time studying, but I'm scared I did worse this time around than last time. I've pretty much written off applying to MD schools (my gpa is about a 3.3 cumulative) but am hoping to apply to DO schools because I really want to pursue medicine and hope to become a doctor one day. I'm 25 and don't want to wait too long again to try to apply to medical school. Any advice on whether I should try to take the mcat in August/September, or just wait until April next year and apply after then?? Anyone heard of people getting accepted even though they did worse the second time around, but better the third attempt??
A 21 truly is not high enough for US DO schools, about 25 is the lowest and a 3.3 is just enough for DO schools.
That said, apply to DO schools and keep in mind that Caribbean schools also will work for you. If you do not get into US DO schools then I would look at the Big Caribbean 3 SGU, AUC and Ross, SABA as well. :wink:
CaribMD
The One
The One

Postby concerned71 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:55 pm

hi,just got my score back verbal 8 , bio 11,phy 12.am worried abt the verbal. Is retaking a good idea?
concerned71

Postby brycepj » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:38 pm

I wrote a blog post last week on this. Probably not an all-encompassing, all-helpful answer, but a few things to consider.

http://premedfaq.com/should-i-take-the- ... irst-time/
brycepj

Postby charlesshutt12 » Mon May 07, 2012 7:31 am

If you are determined your score will most likely improve then take the MCAT again,
charlesshutt12

Postby Amanda845 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:00 pm

I have a dilemma ...I did relatively well my first time taking mcat practice test, without studying I got a 32 composite in the practice test. 10 verbal 10 bio 11 physical I am naturally a great test taker

On the actual test, I got a 33L, 14b 11p 8v (August 2011)
I know that writing scores don't really count but will an L raise a red flag? I really didn't spend any time preparing for this section and had really awkward topics on the actual test. Also an 8 is low for verbal .. But I have a great LOR from my nonfiction writing professor to counter balance it

Also, I am applying next cycle (2013) so I have time to improve my ECs .. Should I retake mcat? My score will be 3 years old and only valid at center schools for example SUNY stonybrook only takes score up to a year old so I would be limited where I could send apps ... Although other ny schools like hofstra, Columbia do take scores up to 3 years old

Bottom line, should I retake?
Amanda845

Previous | Next

Return to MCAT Forum