Should you retake the MCAT?

MCAT preparation and implications of MCAT scores.

Moderators: cheechootrain, CaribMD, AL_emt

Re: Should you retake the MCAT?

Postby dukedog » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:50 pm

Hi, I just got my MCAT score back, and I'm pretty upset
overall: 29Q
PS: 9
VR: 10
BS: 10
WS: Q

I took all the aamc practice tests and scored 30-33 on all of them, and I have the same question as everyone else: should I retake? My GPA is 3.7, I'm in the honors program, biology major, i am involved in research, and have lots of volunteer experience in free clinics. I am a VA resident and really want to go to VCU School of Medicine, but I'm worried that my score will hold me back. I really appreciate any input!
dukedog

Postby reidmike » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:11 pm

Advice Please!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MCAT score from 5/22/09: 10P 7V 10B and Q (27Q) on writing section. I am happy about the balanced science sections, but will I have to retake just from the verbal section? My range for AAMC (I took all available) practice tests was 27-30 with average sections of 9P 8V 10B. The reason I am hesitant to retake is that my verbal section has been so variable and I could end up with the same score or worse. My physical science section is a point better than my usual. I also studied really hard for this test, but am not a great standardized test taker.

Other details include: I am a Florida resident, applying to MD schools, hospital volunteer 1.5 years, two summers of shadowing (plastic surgeon/family physician), 2 years of AMSA directorship, 2 years of biological research, poster presentation, hospice volunteer 2 years, center for adults with developmental disabilities volunteer 3 months (tutoring/aid). My science GPA is 3.87 with a cumulative GPA of 3.91 and I go to the University of Florida.

I would appreciate any help!! I previously signed up for the 7/31 test just in case, but if you think that I still have a shot at some interviews then I will take my chances and just apply with what I have.
reidmike

Postby scarfscarfscarf » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:52 am

Hi, I'm in somewhat of a sticky situation

Overall GPA 3.5
Science GPA 3.3

Great ECs/Letters

1st MCAT : 26Q
2nd MCAT: 25R

I already submitted my primaries earlier this summer. I want to retake August 21st (Maybe 15th?), but I'm not sure if that would help. I've been doing really well on my practices, so I know I can do it. It's just is a third time too much? Also, is August too late to retake the mcat? And since I already submitted my primaries without stating anything about an august retake, would they even consider an even later mcat date?

Thanks
scarfscarfscarf

Postby cheechootrain » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:25 pm

scarfscarfscarf wrote:Hi, I'm in somewhat of a sticky situation

Overall GPA 3.5
Science GPA 3.3

Great ECs/Letters

1st MCAT : 26Q
2nd MCAT: 25R

I already submitted my primaries earlier this summer. I want to retake August 21st (Maybe 15th?), but I'm not sure if that would help. I've been doing really well on my practices, so I know I can do it. It's just is a third time too much? Also, is August too late to retake the mcat? And since I already submitted my primaries without stating anything about an august retake, would they even consider an even later mcat date?

Thanks

What were you scoring before on your practice tests when you took the 1st and 2nd mcat? Were they high like the ones you've been getting?

Looking at your stats, you're in the middle of the crop. What school did you apply to? I think a third time is the max.
cheechootrain
Premed Moderator
Premed Moderator

Postby SoccrGrl09 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:07 pm

I've been reading threads with regards to low MCAT scores and have a few questions.
I took the exam last year in August and got a really low exam score, a 21R. I graduated in 2007 with decent grades. I didn't have the money for a prep course, so I studied on my own with examkrackers last year (2009). I left the mcat test feeling really down. I decided to take it again this year and actually just took it today (June 17th), and felt like I guessed too much on it again. I took my time studying, but I'm scared I did worse this time around than last time. I've pretty much written off applying to MD schools (my gpa is about a 3.3 cumulative) but am hoping to apply to DO schools because I really want to pursue medicine and hope to become a doctor one day. I'm 25 and don't want to wait too long again to try to apply to medical school. Any advice on whether I should try to take the mcat in August/September, or just wait until April next year and apply after then?? Anyone heard of people getting accepted even though they did worse the second time around, but better the third attempt??
SoccrGrl09

Previous | Next

Return to MCAT Forum