Should you retake the MCAT?

MCAT preparation and implications of MCAT scores.

Moderators: cheechootrain, CaribMD, AL_emt

Should you retake the MCAT?

Postby Adminnaoum » Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:54 pm

Ok, you got your score back - you may or may not be happy with it.

At this point students usually ask: should I retake the MCAT?

To help answer that question we've put data from the AAMC on MCAT test retakes and changes in scores into a tool to tell you what your score would likely be if you retook the mcat.

Should I retake the mcat test?

Use the Medical School Finder tool to see if your original score and "probable retake score" are competitive at different medical school.

(ADDED) As discussed in the rest of this thread - these are just statistics. If you work hard, you can improve your score a lot. The key is hard work, and preparing intelligently. These stats show that it is hard to make big improvements - but hard work will get you there. Just ask some of the members of this forum.

I hope this helps,

drn
Last edited by Adminnaoum on Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adminnaoum
Site Admin
Site Admin

retaking calculation

Postby johnpotkar » Sat Oct 15, 2005 6:57 pm

hi, i took a look at the "retaking mcat calculating" website, it's dissappointed, it seemed that the most one would improve is by 2 or 3 max, is that right? thank you!
johnpotkar

Postby Adminnaoum » Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:07 pm

you can improve more than a couple - but the probabilities are stacked against you.

The key is to figure out your weaknesses, and really address them over the 6 months before the next test (April 22, 2006).
Adminnaoum
Site Admin
Site Admin

dont worry about taking it again

Postby dr.allenI » Sat May 06, 2006 4:01 pm

there are many consideration when retaking the mcat. If you are determined your score will most likely improve.Fist time I took it I made a 18(spring) and second time I took it I made a 32(august). So there is hope. First and foremost take aamc practice exams not just kaplan or princeton. Second, design a schedule where you study certain amt of hours each day. Third work on your weakness more than your strength areas.

P.S. Hope this will be motivational to all retakers and acording to the website I should have made a 20 second time around and not a 32. HA take that mcats.
dr.allenI

Postby twoprudentialplaza » Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:27 am

I'm going to be obnoxious here but please delete this god-awful thread. I was so discouraged when I first read this thread and plugged my #'s in that I almost dropped my plan of pursuing a medical career.
I made a 9 point improvement. It's not a fluke, I just worked my butt off and made it.
twoprudentialplaza
Scutophile
Scutophile

Next

Return to MCAT Forum