DO information

Issues specific to osteopathic medical education and practice as a DO.

Moderator: OlufunshoBY

Re: DO information

Postby fms1 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:55 pm

I am not a medical school student, but I would say go DO if you are aiming to become a Primary Care Physician. As far as MD for a preference, that is something that is used to brain-wash MD students into thinking they are the smartest physicians on the planet. In the U.S MD's feel that they are superior to DO's, and MDs along with DO's feel that they are superior to international medical school graduates. In my opinion attend wherever you get accepted. Of course MD is more competitive, but I just recently found out about DO myself. Your goal is to become a doctor, so don't get to caught up in titles.
fms1

Postby AL_emt » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:23 pm

Like the above poster said, if you are aiming for primary care, then DO is absolutely a great option (considering how difficult it is to get into allopathic schools nowadays). I don't know anyone that choose to go DO when they could have gone U.S. MD, but I'm sure it happens. Like I said earlier, you might run into some trouble with the more competitive residencies/programs (even some "easy to get into" residencies (e.g. certain FP programs) are highly competitive, it all depends on the place). If you are looking at derm, radiology, neurosurgery, etc (i.e. the "top-tier" residencies in terms of application difficulty), then being a DO might pose a barrier at some or even most of those programs. i personally think that the whole DO stigma thing is artificial, but it does exist in certain circles (thankfully not so much in EM, where I'm trying to go). Don't buy into the hype, but also be aware of the reality; stigma can be a powerful barrier to success, but it can be overcome.
AL_emt
Premed Moderator
Premed Moderator

Postby samson21 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:07 pm

I definetely understand what you are saying. As I said in another post, I'm currently aiming for general surgery in the long run, but that might change once I get into medschool and discover other things. I dont care for titles, so long as I'm doing what I love and enjoy.
samson21
Gunner
Gunner

Postby AL_emt » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:19 pm

I know plenty of general surgeons that are DOs. A chief of surgery at one of the local hospitals is a DO (and he's a really cool guy to boot). I've heard from the DOs themselves that they had to work a little harder to get into the competitive residencies (relative to their MD peers), but if you work hard it's certainly doable. :D
AL_emt
Premed Moderator
Premed Moderator

Postby samson21 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:18 pm

Wow cheif of surgery. Yea, nothings impossible. I'll keep DO in mind for sure. Thanks for the help!
samson21
Gunner
Gunner

Previous | Next

Return to Osteopathic Medicine (DO)