Chances of getting in?

Issues specific to osteopathic medical education and practice as a DO.

Moderator: OlufunshoBY

Chances of getting in?

Postby EMT2DOC » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:35 pm

Hi everyone. I know this is the big question around here, but I'd like to post my stats and see what everyone thinks my chances of getting into a DO school are.

GPA: 3.2 (Brought up from 2 really bad years and a 2.3)
MCAT: 28 O
Clinical Experience: I've been an EMT-B for almost 2 years working on an ambulance, and I have a LOR from my boss who is an EMT-P. Also have 100+ hours shadowing an MD who is head of the emergency department at a local level 1 trauma center, LOR from him as well. 100+ hours of lab research in genetic botany ( :? ) with a LOR from the head of the project.

I guess I'm non-traditional because I went to a regular university for 2 years, did pretty poorly, became an EMT, then transferred to another college to finish my degree. Now I have one year left and have been pulling 3.8-4.0 semesters ever since I transferred. Oh, and my uncle is on the board of admissions at CCOM, which is my number 1 school right now. Thoughts?
EMT2DOC

Re: Chances of getting in?

Postby nmr81889 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:05 pm

I think you have a pretty good chance of getting in somewhere. I know CCOM and VCOM in particular take a lot of non-traditional students. Your recent GPA trend sounds great and you have a solid MCAT score. The research and EMT experience will definitely help as well. If you plan on applying this cycle, then apply NOW if you haven't already. Good luck!
nmr81889

Re: Chances of getting in?

Postby CaribMD » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:00 pm

EMT2DOC wrote:Hi everyone. I know this is the big question around here, but I'd like to post my stats and see what everyone thinks my chances of getting into a DO school are.

GPA: 3.2 (Brought up from 2 really bad years and a 2.3)
MCAT: 28 O
Clinical Experience: I've been an EMT-B for almost 2 years working on an ambulance, and I have a LOR from my boss who is an EMT-P. Also have 100+ hours shadowing an MD who is head of the emergency department at a local level 1 trauma center, LOR from him as well. 100+ hours of lab research in genetic botany ( :? ) with a LOR from the head of the project.

I guess I'm non-traditional because I went to a regular university for 2 years, did pretty poorly, became an EMT, then transferred to another college to finish my degree. Now I have one year left and have been pulling 3.8-4.0 semesters ever since I transferred. Oh, and my uncle is on the board of admissions at CCOM, which is my number 1 school right now. Thoughts?

Only worry I have is brought up from 2 years 2.3. If you had 2 straight years of 2.3 is the 3.2 what the school is reporting to you after you retook classes or is this an average you did as AMCAS (All grades on transcripts, 1st and then repeated, averaged together)?

The reason I point it out is that most GPA's are lower then the schools if you repeated since an A and a D = C not just an A now.

DO schools may look at the last year or so for upward trends so that can help.

So what is the GPA? it matters
CaribMD
The One
The One

Return to Osteopathic Medicine (DO)