Any recommendations on where I should apply?

Issues specific to osteopathic medical education and practice as a DO.

Moderator: OlufunshoBY

Any recommendations on where I should apply?

Postby pyrocat9 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:30 pm

* Undergraduate Institution: Vanderbilt University
* Major: Molecular Biology
* GPA (overall): 3.5
* GPA (BCPM): 3.3
* MCAT: 35P (Physical 11, Verbal 12, Biology 12)
* Clinical Volunteering: small amount
* Shadowed MD: yes, and received LOR
* Shadowed DO: yes, and received LOR
* Received LORs from 2 science teachers, 1 english teacher, and a committee letter from school.
* Research: 3 semesters as an undergraduate, currently a full-time researcher at the Vanderbilt Dept. of Biological Sciences; received LOR from my PI
* Other activities include piano for 17 years, tennis for 9 years (only played recreational in college, however), working in an environmental testing laboratory for 1 year
* Personal statement is not extremely compelling, by my own admission. But I've also had a doctor review it and get rid of any flaws

So...I've been told that, despite my GPA, that I have a good chance of getting in to an allopathic medical school. But, since I was rejected from the allopathic schools to which I applied last year (a fact which surprised the doctor who was advising me), I am not going to put all my eggs in one basket, so to speak. That is why I want to apply to 2-3 osteopathic schools.

I don't have any bias against getting a DO degree instead of an MD. However, I know I want an MD residency (yes, I'm aware that DO's can match into MD residencies), and it just seems like a better option to attend an allopathic school in the first place, if at all possible.

With that being said, can anyone recommend 2-3 osteopathic schools that fit the following criteria:

* Successfully matches students into MD residencies at a high rate, or is at least viewed as one of the top 20% osteopathic schools in terms of prestige. I don't want to be interviewing for MD residencies and find out that no one has ever heard of the osteopathic school which has been educating me. This is why all the brand-new and/or not prestigious DO schools cannot even be up for discussion
* Might be considered a "safety" school for me (disregarding the fact that no DO/MD school is ever a sure bet and that I need a lot of help with my interviewing skills)
* Is a private institution--I'm tired of applying to schools which have a strong preference for in-state students, or students who are willing to sign a commitment to practicing rural medicine for 8 years, or whatever. :evil:

I would love to find an osteopathic school which meets all 3 of these criteria. Because of my MCAT score, this site's Osteopathic COM search tool is very unhelpful--all the schools show up as green, and not enough other details about the schools are given. Yes, I can look up certain statistics about various osteopathic medical schools myself, but I am really at a loss when it comes to knowing which schools have the most prestige, are viewed the most favorably, and won't hold me back when it comes to my residency.

Thanks in advance for any advice/osteopathic school recommendations : ) I'm really grateful to anyone who takes the time to read all this and help me out.
pyrocat9

Re: Any recommendations on where I should apply?

Postby pyrocat9 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:35 pm

P.S. Please don't use acronyms for the names of the osteopathic medical schools; I'm just beginning to look into DO schools, so these strings of letters are really ambiguous to me. Maybe you could write the full name out and then write the acronym so that I can begin learning : ) Thanks again
pyrocat9

Re: Any recommendations on where I should apply?

Postby nmr81889 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:21 pm

Before I throw out any suggestions, 1)what is your home state? 2)what allopathic schools did you apply to and get rejected from? 3)if you don't mind me asking, did you receive any interview invites?

Also, if you can spend the extra money you should really consider applying to more than 2 or 3 DO schools. The vast majority of applicants, even with the best numbers, will get several rejections. Thus, you should probably consider applying to 8+ DO schools. This is my first time applying and I have applied to 10 allopathic and 14 osteopathic schools, completed 7 so far. I've received one interview invite and one rejection. If I keep this ratio I'll be thrilled, but I know it won't happen so I'm applying to as many schools as financially possible. I have an uncle, a sister and a brother-in-law who have gone through this process before me and they all recommend applying to many schools. Anyway, if you can answer the three questions hopefully I can give a few suggestions.
nmr81889

Return to Osteopathic Medicine (DO)