How Do You Get into D.O. school?

Issues specific to osteopathic medical education and practice as a DO.

Moderator: OlufunshoBY

Re: How Do You Get into D.O. school?

Postby AL_emt » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:14 pm

elxr06 wrote:1 yr of calculus

You probably don't NEED calculus, although it will look great if you have it (and have good grades in it). If you are crunched for time and already taking a heavy course load, I recommend easier maths (e.g. alg/trig, stats, etc). Some schools require (or highly recommend) calc I, but most do not require a full year of calculus.
AL_emt
Premed Moderator
Premed Moderator

Postby newkid » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:28 pm

My major started with college algebra, but I tested out of it and I have no math this first semester. I'll be taking survey of calculus and statistics. Also, because I tested out of math, I have a lower credit hour count for my first semester. Is this alright? I thought I would leave it this way so I could devote more time to my chemistry class.
newkid

Postby CaribMD » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:25 pm

newkid wrote:My major started with college algebra, but I tested out of it and I have no math this first semester. I'll be taking survey of calculus and statistics. Also, because I tested out of math, I have a lower credit hour count for my first semester. Is this alright? I thought I would leave it this way so I could devote more time to my chemistry class.

Yes and I agree with the others as well! :mrgreen:
CaribMD
The One
The One

Postby newkid » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:06 pm

When do you apply to D.O. school? I know for some medical schools, you start interviews as early as after sophomore year? So, when do you apply and stuff?
newkid

Postby CaribMD » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:10 pm

newkid wrote:When do you apply to D.O. school? I know for some medical schools, you start interviews as early as after sophomore year? So, when do you apply and stuff?

No not 2nd year, 3rd year is earliest

you apply to any medical school when

you have finished most if not all the prereqs and you have taken the MCAT

You should not take the MCAT until you have fifnished the prereqs and you are scoring 30 or better

you also need
300 hours of each: Volunteering and Patient contact ( could be done together for total 300 hours)
Shadowing a Doc too

When you apply is not tied to what year in COllege its when you are ready, year 3, 4 or 5 or after you graduate. :mrgreen:
CaribMD
The One
The One

Previous | Next

Return to Osteopathic Medicine (DO)