How Do You Get into D.O. school?

Issues specific to osteopathic medical education and practice as a DO.

Moderator: OlufunshoBY

Re: How Do You Get into D.O. school?

Postby newkid » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:12 pm

Also, if I can't take science classes at community colleges during the summer, can I take them a 4 year university during the summer?
newkid

Postby CaribMD » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:16 pm

newkid wrote:Also, if I can't take science classes at community colleges during the summer, can I take them a 4 year university during the summer?

Do not do that, take all the science at a University if you can, the summer courses are very condense and besides you need the university level. :mrgreen:
CaribMD
The One
The One

Postby newkid » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:16 pm

Question not related to D.O. school:

My school offers several pre-professional health programs, such as pre-dental and lays out a track for this. The classes they suggest aren't that hard and even though they say maybe you should step up some classes, these are the ones that you need to apply for school? Is it better to take the slightly easier classes, do better or take the harder ones and not do as good....???
newkid

Postby dxdiag » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:42 am

Look into some BS/DO Accelerated Programs available. It's is probably the safest way to get into a decent D.O. school and at the same time be prepared for what's ahead. Not an easy path, but if you have that self motivation, it's all you need.

This website has them listed for you:
7 year programs: http://doapplicants.com/Pages/Programs.aspx?mode=1
8 year programs: http://doapplicants.com/Pages/Programs.aspx?mode=2

Godspeed.
dxdiag

Postby anabil » Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:54 pm

elxr06 wrote:any major you want to do is fine, as long as you have scheduled in your premed required classes.

Premed generally consists of
1 yr of general chem with lab.
1 yr organic chem with lab.
1 yr general biology with lab
1 yr of physics with lab
1 yr of calculus

However, D.O. schools don't calculate math classes into your sci GPA, and if you retake a class, your best grade counts when calculating GPA, even though both grades show up on transcript.

Volunteering and getting patient contact and perhaps shadowing a doc -- other things you need :wink:

thanks for clarification
anabil

Previous | 

Return to Osteopathic Medicine (DO)