How Do You Get into D.O. school?

Issues specific to osteopathic medical education and practice as a DO.

Moderator: OlufunshoBY

How Do You Get into D.O. school?

Postby newkid » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:40 pm

I am a freshman in college and even thought it is four years away from now, I am setting my goal on going to D.O. school. Question, do I have to be premed to go to D.O. school? I can fulfill the requirements and stuff without being premed. ???
newkid

Re: How Do You Get into D.O. school?

Postby AL_emt » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:44 pm

Premed is just a label. Planning to become a doctor = premed. Some schools have actual "pre-health" designators and programs, but I would recommend simply picking a major you are interested in (and that you can maintain a good GPA in) and knocking it out. Sustained superior performance is the key to success, and preparing this far in advance will definitely work to your advantage later on. I would recommend shadowing some docs in order to get a feel for health care (i.e. is this really what you want to do, etc). Focus on a strong freshman year, building a good foundation and GPA (don't take too many courses!). Don't worry about the MCAT your freshman year; just concentrate on doing well in your courses. You might consider getting involved with your school's pre-health organization (e.g. AED, etc) in order to build some contacts. Good luck to you, and welcome to StudentDoc! :D
AL_emt
Premed Moderator
Premed Moderator

Postby newkid » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:45 pm

So, even if I'm not following the schools planned out pre-med track I can join the AED groups and such? I've planned it so that I'll be taking all the pre-med classes, but not in the order they lay out. I also might end up taking organic chem over the summer at a community college if it doesn't fit in my schedule in the year. Is this alright? Also, my major is nuclear medicine technology. Is this alright? I'll be taking general chem, bio, physics, math, english, with anatomy and physiology. So...

Thanks in advance for all the responses.
newkid

Postby elxr06 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:37 pm

any major you want to do is fine, as long as you have scheduled in your premed required classes.

Premed generally consists of
1 yr of general chem with lab.
1 yr organic chem with lab.
1 yr general biology with lab
1 yr of physics with lab
1 yr of calculus

However, D.O. schools don't calculate math classes into your sci GPA, and if you retake a class, your best grade counts when calculating GPA, even though both grades show up on transcript.

Volunteering and getting patient contact and perhaps shadowing a doc -- other things you need :wink:
elxr06
Jr. House Staff
Jr. House Staff

Postby AL_emt » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:11 pm

newkid wrote:I also might end up taking organic chem over the summer at a community college if it doesn't fit in my schedule in the year.

I highly recommend taking this at your four-year institution, just to be safe. Many ADCOMS will want to know why you took a prereq at a 2-year school when you could have taken it at your institution, and you can avoid this altogether by simply taking it at the 4-year school.
AL_emt
Premed Moderator
Premed Moderator

Next

Return to Osteopathic Medicine (DO)