Military Medical School

Preparing and applying for medical school.

Sponsored by the Premed Status Report. Analyzes over 20 variables to estimate your chances of getting into medical school.

Moderators: cheechootrain, Vonsmack, AL_emt

Military Medical School

Postby KelvinRudd » Thu May 06, 2010 10:37 am

I have a friend in the states who wants to know about Military Medical Schools. However, since there isn't a lot of literature on Military Medical Schools can you guys provide some insight in to the schools if you have any?

***************************************************************************************************************************
Dr. Joseph Phillips - 4 shots of vodka 1 beer.
Dr. Devin Mei - 7 shots of vodka 2 beers.
Dr. Natalie Rinda - 2 glasses of champagne (to be expected)
Dr. Linda Keating - 4 shots of vodka 2 beers.
Dr. Xiao Chen (Victor) - 11 shots of vodka 3 beers.
Me- 6 shots of vodka and 1 beer.
Dr. Kate Torres - 1 beer (noob)
KelvinRudd

Re: Military Medical School

Postby Vonsmack » Mon May 10, 2010 12:02 am

There is only one military medical school in the U.S. and that is Uniformed Services University. Anyone can go there, there is no tuition and you get a stipend- but you have to give back 7 years. Anyone can receive a military medical school scholarship going to any school. It's not a bad idea if you're single and don't want any debt, and you want to serve in the military. Negatives would be you work for the military health system, you will be sent overseas at some point most likely, and pay is typically less than what a doctor would receive in private practice.
Dr. Dan
6 Years on StudentDoc and counting.. :)
Vonsmack
Premed Moderator
Premed Moderator

Postby cheechootrain » Sun May 16, 2010 3:41 am

They pay the way for you...the only thing that put off some people is basic training and serving in the military for some time. but you get to hold a gun!
cheechootrain
Premed Moderator
Premed Moderator

Postby AL_emt » Sun May 16, 2010 4:00 pm

I am finishing my HPSP package right now in preparation for the June AMCAS submission. As a prior service guy, I would caution that the military in general (and military medicine specifically) is an entirely different world compared to civilian life. I spent a lot of time overseas with different military physicians, getting a feel for their respective opinions about practicing on active duty. While most of them (and all of the prior service folks) absolutely love it, there were quite a few that did HPSP because they thought it was a better financial move (i.e. they did it "for the money"). These folks invariably hated their jobs, and a surprising number of them ended up in a specialty they didn't want due to the needs of the Navy. While lack of debt out of school is certainly an excellent incentive, you will realistically make far less as a military physician even after you account for student loans. You have increased freedom in some respects (no malpractice, etc), but you have increased restrictions in others; for example, the OIC at my last command was an RN over three MDs. I would strongly encourage anyone considering military medicine to actually shadow or at least consult with a practicing active duty physician (not a HPSP recruiter) before making such a huge commitment. As far as USUHS goes: I spoke with a former admissions guy years ago and he said that the school overwhelmingly prefers career military people. He has since left the school, but I would bet that they are still looking for career-minded folks.
"I will punch Krebs right in the face." - Me

USACOM c/o 2015
AL_emt
Premed Moderator
Premed Moderator

Postby cheechootrain » Sun May 16, 2010 11:00 pm

AL_emt wrote:I am finishing my HPSP package right now in preparation for the June AMCAS submission. As a prior service guy, I would caution that the military in general (and military medicine specifically) is an entirely different world compared to civilian life. I spent a lot of time overseas with different military physicians, getting a feel for their respective opinions about practicing on active duty. While most of them (and all of the prior service folks) absolutely love it, there were quite a few that did HPSP because they thought it was a better financial move (i.e. they did it "for the money"). These folks invariably hated their jobs, and a surprising number of them ended up in a specialty they didn't want due to the needs of the Navy. While lack of debt out of school is certainly an excellent incentive, you will realistically make far less as a military physician even after you account for student loans. You have increased freedom in some respects (no malpractice, etc), but you have increased restrictions in others; for example, the OIC at my last command was an RN over three MDs. I would strongly encourage anyone considering military medicine to actually shadow or at least consult with a practicing active duty physician (not a HPSP recruiter) before making such a huge commitment. As far as USUHS goes: I spoke with a former admissions guy years ago and he said that the school overwhelmingly prefers career military people. He has since left the school, but I would bet that they are still looking for career-minded folks.

Thanks for your input! It's good to get a different perspective on this. Welcome to the forums and keep active!
cheechootrain
Premed Moderator
Premed Moderator

Next