Stick with Podiatry or Retry D.O.?

Preparing and applying for medical school.

Sponsored by the Premed Status Report. Analyzes over 20 variables to estimate your chances of getting into medical school.

Moderators: cheechootrain, Vonsmack, AL_emt

Stick with Podiatry or Retry D.O.?

Postby CRizzHomeRun » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:29 pm

Currently, I am a senior at a private college and I applied to both Podiatry and D.O. Schools. I was accepted into podiatric medicine very fast and all 7 of the podiatry schools I applied to wanted an interview. However, I did not have the same luck with D.O. Schools. I applied to roughly 12 different D.O. Schools and none of them offered me an interview. Two of the schools put me on hold for a possible future interview but later they told me it was never going to happen. I was really upset because I wanted to become a D.O. really badly and I fell short. Anyway, I am accepted into a very good podiatry school but I am unsure if I should start podiatry school this fall. I was either considering sticking with podiatry school and accept defeat since podiatry is a good area to be in or I could give up my podiatry seat and retry the admissions process to be an osteopathic doctor. My best guess would be that I'd have to be away from school for 2 years before a D.O. could possibly accept me. My stats are not that bad, but I believe my rejections are mainly due to my MCAT score of a 21 (combined score). What I am asking is the following: Do you think it is too risky to still try to get into D.O. school when I could just go to podiatry school? If I raised my MCAT score to a 25, do you think that would then get me into a D.O. school? If not, what would I need to do? I will appreciate any help I can get and I thank you for your time. Below are some of my stats currently to look at so you can give a better accessment on my situation. Thank you.

Overall GPA: 3.51

Science GPA: 3.40

MCAT: 8 Verbal, 7 Physical Science, 6 Biology, N Writing

High School: Salutatorian, I was also in about 15 clubs and many of which I was president/captain

Private College: I am in 4 clubs right now, I have taken many extra courses to prepare for med school such as Genetics, Human Anatomy, Human Physiology, Comparative Physiology, Microbiology, Developmental Psychology, etc. The only thing I haven't taken was biochemistry.

Work Exp: I was a full-time Medical Laboratory Aide for a hospital for one year, I tutored students at my college for 4 years at about 10 hours a week.

Research Exp: I have published a genome annotation project I did on a type of fly onto the flybase website for others to use, I have put into over a year on a mine reclamation study which will be presented in 2 regional scientific conferences, 1 national conference, and in the process of being published into a scientific journal. I have done many presentations, research proposals, etc.
Community Service: I am heavily involved in 4 different programs and have well over a 1000 hours. One of them being a baseball coach for my local Little League Baseball Organization.
CRizzHomeRun

Re: Stick with Podiatry or Retry D.O.?

Postby cheechootrain » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:04 am

Private College: The only thing I haven't taken was biochemistry.

Work Exp: I was a full-time Medical Laboratory Aide for a hospital for one year

Research Exp: I have published a genome annotation project I did on a type of fly onto the flybase website for others to use, I have put into over a year on a mine reclamation study which will be presented in 2 regional scientific conferences, 1 national conference, and in the process of being published into a scientific journal. I have done many presentations, research proposals, etc.
Community Service: I am heavily involved in 4 different programs and have well over a 1000 hours. One of them being a baseball coach for my local Little League Baseball Organization.

These are the stats that matter, IMO. The problem is that I don't see ANY volunteer hours. Allopathic and Osteopathic schools want good gpa, good mcat score, volunteer hours, patient contact, and shadowing a doctor.

If you want to go for D.O. school, drop all the clubs. Clubs provide no benefit in you getting into schools unless they provide volunteer opportunities, or information. Clubs are basically for socialization.

If you don't get atleast a 30 or above on your MCAT score, I would just go with the Podiatry schools. You're GPA is fine for DO schools, but you need to pick up on the volunteer and patient contact hours. THAT IS THE BIG THING!
cheechootrain
Premed Moderator
Premed Moderator

Postby flowrencemary » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:21 am

thanks for sharing all your views :)
flowrencemary

Postby CaribMD » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:14 am

CRizzHomeRun wrote:Currently, I am a senior at a private college and I applied to both Podiatry and D.O. Schools. I was accepted into podiatric medicine very fast and all 7 of the podiatry schools I applied to wanted an interview. However, I did not have the same luck with D.O. Schools. I applied to roughly 12 different D.O. Schools and none of them offered me an interview. Two of the schools put me on hold for a possible future interview but later they told me it was never going to happen

My stats are not that bad, but I believe my rejections are mainly due to my MCAT score of a 21 (combined score).

Work Exp: I was a full-time Medical Laboratory Aide for a hospital for one year, I tutored students at my college for 4 years at about 10 hours a week.

YES! the problem is the MCAT, the GPA is almost high enough for MD schools but with a 21 MCAT even the Caribbean schools will give you a hard time. :wink:

retake the MCAT or go to Podiatry school
CaribMD
The One
The One

Postby vaisali » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:15 am

great thanks...I'll keep it in mind. :P :P :P
vaisali

Next

Return to Premed Forum