5 Things You Didn't Know About Being a Veterinary Technician

EMT, Radiology Tech, ECG Tech - career options and education discussion.

Moderator: CaribMD

5 Things You Didn't Know About Being a Veterinary Technician

Postby shawntamis » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:09 am

Like all careers in the world, there are always a few facts which would make you go "oh, really?" or "well, I didn't know that!". If you've been thinking about veterinary technician career and don't know much about it, there are a few things you ought to know so read on.

First, veterinary technician goes by a few other names such as veterinary technologist and animal health technician or technologist. However, it doesn't go by the term of veterinary assistant as they are two different careers that have more differences than similarities. These differences are in terms of education requirement, credentials, job description, salaries, work place and job demand.

Next, you probably didn't know that there is a veterinary technician oath. Not many institutes practice the use of this oath but it does exist and sounds like this; "I solemnly dedicate myself to aiding animals and society by providing excellent care and services for animals, by alleviating animal suffering, and promoting public health. I accept my obligations to practice my profession conscientiously and with sensitivity, adhering to the professions Code of Ethics, and furthering my knowledge and competence through a commitment to lifelong learning."

Third fact would be that as a veterinary technician, you wouldn't only be assisting in the medical room behind closed doors in animal clinics and hospitals; you would also have the opportunity to work in animal shelters, zoos, pet centers, farms and so on. The fourth fact would be that when getting an education, you would not be limited to attending a day to day campus as many institutes have placed themselves online! Hence, you can pursue your education with the click of a mouse from the comfort of your own home with distance learning.
shawntamis

Re: 5 Things You Didn't Know About Being a Veterinary Techni

Postby arnob123 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:04 pm

Wanting to become a veterinarian is a laudable goal. With more and more people owning pets, excellent doctors are needed for pets and the large numbers of domesticated animals. Becoming a veterinarian takes incredible dedication, and a large investment of time.

Most experts recommend that the first step toward becoming a veterinarian is to build up lots of practical experience by volunteering. Many recommend as many as six years of experience as a volunteer to increase one’s chances of making it to an accredited college for veterinary medicine.

Fortunately, most middle and high schools now require a certain number of community service hours per year to graduate. Thus a student may get credit for work with a local vet, vet hospital or humane shelter. If there is an opportunity to work in a zoo with exotic animals, this increases the chance of college acceptance as well. However, students should avoid getting pigeonholed into one specialty. Students should try out as many different types of “vetting” as possible. They should not expect pay, as volunteer work is usually unpaid.

Once in college, if one cannot specialize in veterinary medicine, then it is recommended that they specialize in a science field like biology or biochemistry. On the way to becoming a veterinarian, one must get excellent grades. There are fewer than 30 accredited schools for the would-be veterinarian in the US. If a candidate's grades are not terrific, chances of getting accepted by one of these schools is minimal.

Not every school requires a bachelor’s degree, but most do. One can definitely increase the chances of becoming a veterinarian if he or she holds a four-year degree prior to applying to veterinary schools. A candidate should have some experience working with animals while in college, since the veterinarian needs a working knowledge of many of the sciences.

Once in a school for veterinary medicine, a veterinary student will complete an average of four years of study plus practical training before applying to become a licensed veterinarian. These years should be preparation to take federal licensing exams. One should also expect to take state licensing examinations for any state where the practice will be located.

Upon becoming a veterinarian, one will need to continue his or her education to maintain both federal and state licenses. Veterinarians will usually be required to have several hours of continuing education each year to maintain their licenses. In addition to the job, vets can expect to continue learning and studying on a regular basis.
arnob123

Postby Nichole Hudson » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:58 am

That's Veterinary technicians don't just work behind the scenes in veterinary hospitals, they gather information from clients, provide compassionate care for their animal patients, performe laboratory procedures and take radiographs, and much more. But that's not all, veterinary technicians enjoy successful, rewarding careers in research, military service, food safety, teaching, zoos and aquariums, and many more areas.
Nichole Hudson

Postby Maryjane » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:09 am

Veterinary technicians usually do clinical work with direction from the veterinarian. They conduct tests and help diagnose and care for illnesses and injuries in animals. Vet techs also help with conducting laboratory tests, taking blood, preparing tissue samples for testing, and performing urinalysis and blood counts. Sometimes technicians also take and develop x ray images, take medical histories, and care for animals under veterinary care. Experienced technicians advise pet owners regarding healthy practices. Their work needs a lot of patience and strength. In some states they are also getting a healthy salary which is clear from the article Though some veterinary technicians specialize in internal medicine, animal behavior, anesthesiology or any other fields, they need to have a general outlook for every field in order to excel in this career.
Maryjane

Postby richroberts972 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:12 am

thanks for ur info. it helped me a lot when i tried to find sth about veterinanry techni
richroberts972

Next

Return to Health Technicians