What is a good reason to go into DO as opposed to MD?

Issues specific to osteopathic medical education and practice as a DO.

Moderator: OlufunshoBY

Re: What is a good reason to go into DO as opposed to MD?

Postby OlufunshoBY » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:12 pm

if u see it as a means to an end, then the difference wouldnt matter much to u. Ur goal is to be a physician, more specifically, be good at that ur specialty of choice. If this is true, then get into a med sch; DO, MD, Caribbean Med school etc. The end product is the same provided u put ur personal effort into it and dont depend on the institution to do it for you.
OlufunshoBY
Fellow
Fellow

Postby pharmdphdfuturedo » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:01 pm

i have a pharm d and a phd in pharmacology and got accepted to very high profile md schools but chose do because they are more in touch with treating the person, not the disease. do's practice in all specialties so anyone that tells you they are nonsurgical have no idea what they are talking about. My best friends dad is a do and a neurosurgeon. i think if the school feels right then go there, do or md.
pharmdphdfuturedo

Postby OlufunshoBY » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:30 pm

i second the last post
OlufunshoBY
Fellow
Fellow

Postby tramflap » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:33 pm

CaribMD wrote:The belief in non surgical treatment for illness and natural treatments.
DO's have a strong focus on nutrition as well.

While there are a few fundamentalists who believe this, DO=MD anymore. The older DO schools have more than 50% of their students go into various specialties, which is a greater percentage than most US medical schools.

pharmdphdfuturedo wrote:i have a pharm d and a phd in pharmacology and got accepted to very high profile md schools but chose do because they are more in touch with treating the person, not the disease. do's practice in all specialties so anyone that tells you they are nonsurgical have no idea what they are talking about. My best friends dad is a do and a neurosurgeon. i think if the school feels right then go there, do or md.

The bold statement is a perfect answer, 'nuff said.
tramflap
Scutophile
Scutophile

Postby CaribMD » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:03 pm

tramflap wrote:
CaribMD wrote:The belief in non surgical treatment for illness and natural treatments.
DO's have a strong focus on nutrition as well.

While there are a few fundamentalists who believe this, DO=MD anymore. The older DO schools have more than 50% of their students go into various specialties, which is a greater percentage than most US medical schools.

pharmdphdfuturedo wrote:i have a pharm d and a phd in pharmacology and got accepted to very high profile md schools but chose do because they are more in touch with treating the person, not the disease. do's practice in all specialties so anyone that tells you they are nonsurgical have no idea what they are talking about. My best friends dad is a do and a neurosurgeon. i think if the school feels right then go there, do or md.

The bold statement is a perfect answer, 'nuff said.

I'll argue that the reason so many are going into specialties is due to a number not being accepted at MD schools and being accepted at DO schools, they are not going embracing the DO philosophy so much.

I feel that DO and MD are equal, but also refuse to also say they are 100% the same, they are not, you learn subject matter in DO school you do not in MD school and I once talked to a 1st year DO grad who was fired from a MD residency for doing OM without permission. No matter what you want to say there are still differences and treatment differences. :?
CaribMD
The One
The One

Previous | Next

Return to Osteopathic Medicine (DO)