Chiropractic Student with Second Thoughts...HELP!!

Issues specific to osteopathic medical education and practice as a DO.

Moderator: OlufunshoBY

Chiropractic Student with Second Thoughts...HELP!!

Postby kpeterson1986 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:25 pm

Ok, so here's the deal. Right now, I am a student at a chiropractic school and just finished my first term and about to start my second. I am starting to have second thoughts about the career path I am on. During undergrad, I was a little immature in the fact that I didn't want to be in school so long (4 years school + residency) so I decided to go the chiropractic route because it only takes about 3 1/2 years with no residency needed. Now that I am in chiro school, I'm starting to realize that my reasoning for not going into medicine was not a good one. I also figured that my GPA was too low, at a 3.35, to be accepted to any sort of medical school so I didn't bother trying.

I am basically just asking for advice on what you guys think I should do. I am considering quitting chiro school so that I can go to medical school, but I don't want to end up quitting chiro, not getting into med, and being SOL. I have not taken the MCAT yet, or even began studying for it, but I plan to start preparing soon. I am a great crammer for tests and think that I could be prepared in a matter of months, except for the fact that I'm still in chiro school and need to study for that on top. As well as the fact that my GPA isn't that high and no MCAT yet, I also have concerns because I don't have any EC's or volunteering. I am going to be sitting down and talking to a few doctors in the next couple weeks and talking to them about what they do and the like, as well as asking the same advice I'm asking you.

Another huge concern I have is the expense. Currently I have $16,500 taken out in loans after the first term and as soon as I start the second that will be doubled. Is it possible to get the loans to pay for med school after already having this taken out without having to pay off my chiro school debt first?

Moral of the story...

Possible to get into MD(preferrably) or DO school with my GPA and what minimum score on MCAT?
Do you think I should just continue on with chiropractic?
Does anyone have any idea on a timeframe I would be looking at if I took the MCAT in the next few months then started applying to schools?
Anyone been through the same situation?
Other advice?
:?:

Thanks in advance
kpeterson1986

Re: Chiropractic Student with Second Thoughts...HELP!!

Postby astrodude » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:25 pm

MD schools are going to be real tough with that GPA...DO schools are a little more in reach, however, you will need to get at, at least, a 28 on the MCAT to make yourself viable. At that point, I think you would have a decent shot at a DO school (so apply broadly). The Carribean MD schools will probably accept you with your current GPA and an MCAT score of 22+. So...there are plenty of routes to take, should you want to exercise them.

Definitely need to get some clinical time/research in, no matter the route. Start volunteering at your local hospital.

As for the rest of it, you need to make those decisions for yourself. I wouldn't listen to anyone over the internet about what YOU should do with YOUR life. You need to take a long, hard look at your career plans and determine whether or not they are suiting for your wants, needs and desires. Only you can figure what is best for your long-term happiness/success.

Best of luck to you!
astrodude

Postby OlufunshoBY » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:27 pm

i agree with the previous poster.
OlufunshoBY
Fellow
Fellow

Postby CaribMD » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:21 am

astrodude wrote:MD schools are going to be real tough with that GPA...DO schools are a little more in reach, however, you will need to get at, at least, a 28 on the MCAT to make yourself viable. At that point, I think you would have a decent shot at a DO school (so apply broadly). The Carribean MD schools will probably accept you with your current GPA and an MCAT score of 22+. So...there are plenty of routes to take, should you want to exercise them.

I mostly agree with this, the MCAT you should shoot for is
26 or better US DO ( Yes 28 is more like it)

24 or better Caribbean 3. SGU, AUC and Ross ( 22 is a little low)

You do not need research

Patient contact experience for US DO schools and shadow a DO
CaribMD
The One
The One

Postby TriagePreMed » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:10 pm

There's also the problem that medical schools don't like to see people quit graduate programs. On top of that, Chiropractors and MDs have had a lot of litigation in the past. Many don't believe Chiropractor is a legitimate specialty and have relegated it to pseudo-science. If I were you and happy with Chiropractor school, I'd stay in it. You say your reasoning was poor to choose Chiropractor college over med school, but is your current reasoning any better? You offer no explanation. Like you said, you've made a big investment and might end up SOL, so think this through.
TriagePreMed
Sub-I
Sub-I

Next

Return to Osteopathic Medicine (DO)