No MCAT

Issues specific to osteopathic medical education and practice as a DO.

Moderator: OlufunshoBY

No MCAT

Postby Legacy21 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:37 pm

Greetings forum,
this is my first post and I'm excited to become part of this "upfront" community. (judging by how stern some responses are) I thought i would make my first post useful and ask a serious question. I have large amounts of volunteer hours
Member of Healing Hearts (this includes talking to people in hospice and children at hospitals before surgery), Charity Newseis (selling newspapers to clothe children), St. Vincent DePaul Food Pantry...
I'm apart of the Pi Kappa Alpha Fraternity and hold position of "Risk-Awareness Chair" (giving speeches about to incoming "greeks" about drinking), and on the committee for "Pike Bounce" (our yearly charity event)... just to name a few
i worked in the chemistry lab stock room...
I have Shadowed DO doctors during surgery and family care...

I have a 3.3 GPA, but a few C's along the way. I applied to a few DO schools and post-bacc programs. The kicker is i'm taking my first MCAT in January. I know this isn't smart but for some reason i thought it was offer in October. I know, big brain-lapse..... Any chances a school will still look at my application seriously?
Any suggestions or advise to help my situation would be greatly appreciated :D
Thanks
Legacy21

Re: No MCAT

Postby CaribMD » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:07 pm

Legacy21 wrote:Greetings forum,
this is my first post and I'm excited to become part of this "upfront" community. (judging by how stern some responses are) I thought i would make my first post useful and ask a serious question. I have large amounts of volunteer hours
Member of Healing Hearts (this includes talking to people in hospice and children at hospitals before surgery), Charity Newseis (selling newspapers to clothe children), St. Vincent DePaul Food Pantry...
I'm apart of the Pi Kappa Alpha Fraternity and hold position of "Risk-Awareness Chair" (giving speeches about to incoming "greeks" about drinking), and on the committee for "Pike Bounce" (our yearly charity event)... just to name a few
i worked in the chemistry lab stock room...
I have Shadowed DO doctors during surgery and family care...

I have a 3.3 GPA, but a few C's along the way. I applied to a few DO schools and post-bacc programs. The kicker is i'm taking my first MCAT in January. I know this isn't smart but for some reason i thought it was offer in October. I know, big brain-lapse..... Any chances a school will still look at my application seriously?
Any suggestions or advise to help my situation would be greatly appreciated :D
Thanks

No DO school will consider you, without that MCAT your shot..........Sorry

The GPA is just high enough for a chance once you have an MCAT of I would say 29 or better.

Some post Bacs want an MCAT I understand before they consider you too.
CaribMD
The One
The One

Postby Legacy21 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:57 pm

Yeah, i figured. But some primary's aren't due until April or middle march and i'll have a score by then.. so hopefully i do well :shock:
Legacy21

Postby diemsum84 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:14 pm

There are plenty of schools that have later deadlines for their primaries, but some schools have a rolling admissions. Once the seats are filled up, they stop reviewing apps and giving interviews. Also, schools will wait to review your app until your MCAT is in. So.....if you can, I would apply to schools ASAP, that way, once your MCAT is in, they can review right away. AACOMAS wanted their applications in by Jan 1 (they emailed me and told me that), but I'm sure you can still apply, I don't see why not. I hope this helps, good luck to you.
diemsum84

Return to Osteopathic Medicine (DO)