What would be the best option for me?

Preparing and applying for medical school.

Sponsored by the Premed Status Report. Analyzes over 20 variables to estimate your chances of getting into medical school.

Moderators: cheechootrain, Vonsmack, AL_emt

What would be the best option for me?

Postby clubwestpua » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:19 pm

I am a 4th year premed studying Biochemistry in a state university. Before asking questions, I would like to explain my situation briefly.

I am currently considered as an international student. My family applied for the permanent residency about 5 years ago, and the immigration service notified to us that the permanent residency would be processed in about 19 to 20 months from now. Previously, my family expected that the permanent residency would be processed much sooner, so I decided to take a year off and delayed my MCAT. But now it seems like I need to wait for two years for the permanent residency, and if possible, I don't want to wait.

Here are my general stats
Major: Biochemistry
GPA: Science 3.75 and Non-Science 3.76
MCAT: Currently preparing, will be taken on May and August (or July)
Medical Volunteering: various areas in large hospitals and small clinics (250+ hours) and a medical mission trip
Non-Medical Volunteering: Big Brothers and Big sisters (1 year)and various places through pre-medical club
Research Experience: Entomology lab for 1 year during freshman year, Biochemistry research for 2 years, research scholarship, my own publication and another publication with a grad student, and senior thesis
Leadership: Medicine related directorship in a volunteering club, vice president of fencing club and perhaps another directorship in a pre-medical club
Shadowing: only through Volunteering/Shadowing (ER doctors and ENT surgeon in OR)
Work Experience: None

With this situation, I have thought about what I am going to do for the next one or two years. I really do not want to take two years off. I want you to advise me what would be the best option for me.
(Please do not consider financial issue.)

1. Public Health Certificate + working as a CNA (1 year)
While doing these two, I would be applying to med schools where they accept international applicants. Since most medical schools advise me to wait for the permanent residency, if I do not get in, then I would be switching to public health master program (it would take only 1 year to complete, because of certificate) or get Master of management in science (1 year long master program in business for science majors who previously did not have any business background) while applying again. The choice among these two is depended on how much I am interested in public health. I am interested in business as well

However, I am somewhat worried, because public health might not be helpful in medical school classes like histology, anatomy and physiology.

2. Post-bac certificate in biomedical science (1 year)
Post bac might be helpful once I enter medical school, but the primary purpose of post-bac program is to enhance one's GPA. Both my premedical adviser and my research prof who was a dean in medical school told me to not to do this. (I took undergraduate level physiology, cell biology, genetics and biochemistry, but not anatomy)

3. Take a break from school and work as an EMT or as a CNA (1 year)
work as an EMT while applying and if I don't get in, then I would get master of management in science or post bac.

4. MBA?? (2 years long, need GMAT)

5. Public Health grad school program (2 years long, need GRE)

6. grad school program (2 years long, need GRE)

7. any other options???

*** Option 4, 5 and 6 are not so desirable, because I haven't taken GRE and I am currently preparing for MCAT.
*** Peace Corps and Teach for America require permanent residency or citizenship.
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:24 am

Re: What would be the best option for me?

Postby CaribMD » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:03 pm

Must you be a Permanent resident for Federal student Loans? I think you do.
I understand

If thats the main problem then yes, do something to get experience this will only help you more in the application process.
User avatar
The One
The One
Posts: 7690
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:37 am
Location: Moderator Land

Re: What would be the best option for me?

Postby Enot » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:22 pm

All of those sound like good things. With your timeline extended, why not devote more time exclusively to the MCAT and get a really outstanding score? Just a thought. Taking some time to work in a medically related field would be invaluable as well. Getting experience with patients really seems to help. Having to wait must be grating for you, but it certainly gives you time to develop yourself into an even more outstanding well rounded candidate than you already are. Good luck.
Posts: 147
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:17 pm

Re: What would be the best option for me?

Postby clubwestpua » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:44 am

Thank you for your replies. Considering the situation, I am willing to wait, because medicine is my only interest and my only path. I should definitely prepare more for MCAT especially on verbal section. (currently I am working on it to improve my reading comprehension)

The reason that I want to work is because I want to become more mature by facing the society. Since I never worked before but only volunteered, working experience would be highly valuable for me. At the same time, I don't want to close books. So I want to get a certificate in public health or in biomedical science. :mrgreen:
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:24 am

Re: What would be the best option for me?

Postby medmatt » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:45 am

It depends on what kind of school you want to go to. If you want to go to a top tier university the best thing to do would be to get published. That being said, it would be hard to do in two years.

If your goal is just to get in anywhere I think the best option would be EMT. From what I see ADCOMS love them some EMT.

Either way good luck applying and good luck with the MCAT.
Jr. House Staff
Jr. House Staff
Posts: 348
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:22 pm


Return to Premed Forum