X-Ray/ Ultrasound Tech to MD

EMT, Radiology Tech, ECG Tech - career options and education discussion.

Moderator: CaribMD

X-Ray/ Ultrasound Tech to MD

Postby dayvmc » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:18 am

Here is a little background. I am 28 and a wife and mother to two young boys. I graduated x-ray school in '01 (at 19) with a 3.98 GPA and graduated Ultrasound school in '06 with a 4.0. Overall my GPA is great however since I was educated at a trade school the credits don't transfer. Weber State accepted my Licenses and granted me 70 credits towards a B.S. in Advanced Radiologic Sciences at their school. I had taken some basic cc courses in the late 90's in order to graduate high school at 16 but I didn't take them very seriously and my GPA is a 3.54. I figure that by the time I finish my prereqs for med school and a couple courses towards my degree I can bring up my GPA to a 3.75. I have a couple questions that I need some advice on.

#1. I work full time and have a family so it seems that online science courses would be the easiest to fit into my schedule. The local cc offers online integrated classes so the labs are included. I know they aren't looked upon as highly but being as how they may be my only option do you think I will still have a chance by taking online integrated OCHEM and PHYSICS?

#2. I have performed ultrasounds and DEXA scans for over 10 clinical research studies. Since I play little part in the analyzing of data does this experience still count as research?

#3. I volunteer at a crisis pregnancy center (performing pregnancy dating ultrasounds) (once a week for an hour or two at a time) as well as at my son's school ( a few hrs a mo). I've played on adult soccer leagues, sat on a commitee at my church, am vice pres of my HOA . I have worked in the ER, OR, ICU,PICU,NICU, trauma, inpatient, outpatient, underserved areas (pretty much everywhere) and I speak spanish fluently. My question is what else should I add to strengthen my E.C.s?

#4. Overall ( I know my (as of yet untaken) MCAT score will pay a huge part) what do you think my chances are??? My motivation is a little low and I need a push to keep going.
dayvmc

Re: X-Ray/ Ultrasound Tech to MD

Postby CaribMD » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:21 am

dayvmc wrote:Here is a little background. I am 28 and a wife and mother to two young boys.......Weber State accepted my Licenses and granted me 70 credits towards a B.S. in Advanced Radiologic Sciences at their school. I had taken some basic cc courses in the late 90's in order to graduate high school at 16 but I didn't take them very seriously and my GPA is a 3.54............

#1. I work full time and have a family so it seems that online science courses would be the easiest to fit into my schedule. The local cc offers online integrated classes so the labs are included. I know they aren't looked upon as highly but being as how they may be my only option do you think I will still have a chance by taking online integrated OCHEM and PHYSICS?
Welcome some thoughts here

Online science courses is a bad idea for medical school prereqs, it is not seen as hands on and challenging to the Medical schools. the only way I know people get away with it is if the colleges in the past did not have a code or listed the course as online only or listed online on the transcript, it is better to even take it in person at a CC then to take online. There is a negative stigma attached.

Unfortunatly the working and family are not considered a plus to the Application Commitees, in fact its a big negative because they know family comes first and in medicine school is thought to matter more. As many know I'm 45 with 3 kids ( all have grown up while I'm studying medicine) the adcom's like young unattached students.
#2. I have performed ultrasounds and DEXA scans for over 10 clinical research studies. Since I play little part in the analyzing of data does this experience still count as research?

#3. I volunteer at a crisis pregnancy center (performing pregnancy dating ultrasounds) (once a week for an hour or two at a time) as well as at my son's school ( a few hrs a mo). I've played on adult soccer leagues, sat on a commitee at my church, am vice pres of my HOA . I have worked in the ER, OR, ICU,PICU,NICU, trauma, inpatient, outpatient, underserved areas (pretty much everywhere) and I speak spanish fluently. My question is what else should I add to strengthen my E.C.s?

research only if you participated directly with the research team and was considered as a team member not the person doing the scans.
Volunteering and patient contact looks good and done now
You need to get shadowing in with a Doc is what I see.
You have no time to do real research if you were not a team member as above do not worry on it, your GPA and MCAT are more important.

28 is young I went to medical school at 41 many go between 25 and 30 now.

I can see you applying at 31 or 32 still good ages.

You need to balance home life and school and take this in steps not rushing, rushing leads to stress and failure in most cases.

I think so far your looking good, your GPA is over 3.5 and thats very good. I think if you do the right things you could end up applying MD and DO with decent chances at both.

Stick around come up with a good plan and let us know!

I'm interested to see how you begin here. :mrgreen:
CaribMD
The One
The One

Re: X-Ray/ Ultrasound Tech to MD

Postby johnm » Tue May 22, 2012 12:56 pm

i found this website to be useful when searching for schools that have x-ray/ultrasound programs

http://www.careersinhealth.net/ultrasound-technician/
johnm

Return to Health Technicians