interview demeanor

post and read interview feedback from your medical school visit.

Moderator: AL_emt

interview demeanor

Postby bigballer27 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:40 pm

for an interview, how serious are you supposed to be. of course you dont want to make fun of anything etc, but can u make a joke or two, or have a slightly humorous tone (if warranted)? what demeanor should you have when in an interview and should you keep it that way through the whole interview?
bigballer27
Gunner
Gunner

Re: interview demeanor

Postby Brady Kinesia » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:32 pm

Don't tell jokes during the interview. It could give the wrong impression that you don't take the process seriously. Also, patients in a hospital who are in pain and suffering do not want their doctor to be a comedian, they want the physician to be competent to treat the illness.

Try to be friendly. And you can be humorous in a more subtle way that shows that you have a sense of humor, while being respectful of the seriousness of the situation: the interview will decide whether you get into medical school. They have lots of other applicants who are equally deserving so don't mess it up with bad jokes
Brady Kinesia
Sub-I
Sub-I

Postby elitea » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:41 pm

I agree with Brady. Try to steer clear of jokes, but I do think that you'll want to mirror your interviewer's attitude during the interview. Some interviewers have a light-hearted, more relaxed attitude about interviewing people, but some interviewers are very serious. Picking up on their mood early in the interview is important so that you're not too stuffy if they're relaxed, but you're also not too humorous if they're in a serious mood.

Again, I think joking in general is unnecessary, and you don't have to joke around for interviewers to enjoy you. Bring a smile and a kind attitude, and it'll go a long way.

How have your interviews been?

Hope this helps!

elitea
elitea
Scutophile
Scutophile

Postby hdlewis » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:08 am

How important is the interview in getting accepted to medical school?
hdlewis

Postby elitea » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:29 am

Hi hdlewis,

I'd say that interviews for medical school is extremely important. During the interview, you are meeting face-to-face with faculty/staff from the school, giving them the first impression of who you are as a person and student, deciding if you and the school are compatible, and proving yourself as a future medical professional.

Don't just take my word for it, though. From the website of the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC), I found other professionals' opinions about the importance of medical school interviews: https://www.aamc.org/students/aspiring/ ... view2.html.

Don't forget that interviews are not only for the prospective college personnel; they're also for you to find out more about the school and the people there. You'll be spending a number of years at the school you choose, and interviews give you a great chance to personally investigate each one, ask questions of the personnel, and decide on your pros and cons of each school.

Have you had any interviews yet? How have they gone, and what kinds of things are you doing in preparation of future interviews?

Hope this helped, and good luck!
elitea
Scutophile
Scutophile

Next

Return to Medical School Interviews