In a bit of a bind

Issues specific to osteopathic medical education and practice as a DO.

Moderator: OlufunshoBY

In a bit of a bind

Postby nguyn » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:56 pm

Hey everyone,

I've sent in my primaries and have started to get secondaries, but I am not sure if I'll be wasting money if I sent those secondaries in. Here's the deal with me:

3.39 GPA (3.46 SCI GPA)
6 Ver, 8 Phys, 12 Bio, M
Club President and Vice, 3 Hospital internships, and sports club
Worked every year of College
Biochemistry w/ English minor

Here's the moot point; I have not had time to shadow a physician. I know a few physicians but have not been able to set aside time to shadow them because of my full time job after college the and part time jobs during college. Will schools think I'm disinterested in Medicine because I had to work instead of allotting time for the things that medical schools like? To make it worse, my full time job is for an internet advertising company. I'm good at it and needed money to survive so I had to take it. How else was I going to pay for those supplementary applications?

I've done a few internships at the hospital. That is where I decided to become doctor, but will that be enough to convince them that I'm serious?

Also if I do end up applying and need a DO letter of recommendation, I'd probably only have time to speak with them and interview. Will that suffice or will schools only take shadowed physician's recommendations?
nguyn

Re: In a bit of a bind

Postby CaribMD » Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:55 pm

Bind? Ok where did you apply?

If DO then the 26 will be OK, not great, but you should get some interviews, if MD I only see the lower tier schools.

OK so lets worry about what's next.

If you did not apply to DO then its just about too late now, you could but you should get on the Ball for Monday.

So if all MD schools applied to I think the 26 will really hurt your chances. But you may still get some interviews and your GPA is very good for DO within range ( I made a mistake sorry)
So all is not lost.

Are you OK that you may not get accepted for 2010? I would prepare for that. But you may luck out ( I hope you do)

Shadowing can be as little as 1 or 2 days and its hard for you to explain away how in the past 2 to 3 years you could not find 1 or 2 days at least to shadow a Doc.

I think you can accepted without shadowing. Don't fret too much on that.

The bigger problem is Volunteer work? You did not tell me of any? That is a Biggie these days, more and more premeds come out of interviews where a big deal was made out of the volunteer experience.
Do you have some? (not internships) :?:
CaribMD
The One
The One

Postby nguyn » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:06 pm

Shadowing can be for just 1 or 2 days? That shouldn't be too much a problem then. I thought the whole process should take about a few months. What worried me is the section that asks for how long they have been in contact with me. 1 or 2 days does not seem like much, but I bet it is better than nothing.

I applied to DO schools only because I believe it is the kind of mindset I want as a doctor.

And yes, I've come to terms with not being accepted this year. I'm a young guy and I have a few years before I hit the average matriculant age.

And volunteering, that's an iffy one. For eight years I helped a disabled Vietnam veteran around the house on the weekends. I helped him a bit after I got into college too but since my college was 100 miles away it wasn't very often.

Oh and I must've made a type. For the Phys section I got a 9. So the total is a 27, if that changes anything.
nguyn

Postby CaribMD » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:46 pm

nguyn wrote:Shadowing can be for just 1 or 2 days? That shouldn't be too much a problem then. I thought the whole process should take about a few months. What worried me is the section that asks for how long they have been in contact with me. 1 or 2 days does not seem like much, but I bet it is better than nothing.

I applied to DO schools only because I believe it is the kind of mindset I want as a doctor.

And yes, I've come to terms with not being accepted this year. I'm a young guy and I have a few years before I hit the average matriculant age.

And volunteering, that's an iffy one. For eight years I helped a disabled Vietnam veteran around the house on the weekends. I helped him a bit after I got into college too but since my college was 100 miles away it wasn't very often.

Oh and I must've made a type. For the Phys section I got a 9. So the total is a 27, if that changes anything.

Yes 27 is better then 26 and since DO then I expect some interviews, you should be good enough.

But yes if you can get a couple days of shadowing in then it will help! :wink:

Don't worry too much your GPA is very good!
CaribMD
The One
The One

Return to Osteopathic Medicine (DO)