Chances?

Issues specific to osteopathic medical education and practice as a DO.

Moderator: OlufunshoBY

Chances?

Postby qmcat » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:22 pm

I just got my mcat back
8-phy
8-verb
10-bio
M

i was shocked because i was averaging a 28-31 on my AAMC's.
my gpa is 3.0
and my science is 3.12

I have three summer internships at NIH
i have many vol hours too

should i apply or is it a waste of time?

i was thinking DO or Caribbean?
im not sure what to do
qmcat

Re: Chances?

Postby qmcat » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:23 pm

any help would be greatly appreciated.. im really torn as to what to do
and you should i retake?
qmcat

Postby tramflap » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:25 am

Your GPA is low, and your MCAT is average for DO matriculants. If you apply broadly and have good letters/extracurricular activities, then you have a shot. People do get in with lower stats. You can't get in unless you apply, so apply to many DO schools and see what happens. If you aren't accepted, then look into doing a post-bacc or MS degree, and try to improve your MCAT.

Good luck.
tramflap
Scutophile
Scutophile

Postby qmcat » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:38 pm

Thanks,
i had another question. Is it too late to apply for 2010? I know my stats are low so before applying i want to make sure that it is a smart decision. Or i was thinking of waiting till january taking mcat again and then applying. I would to like to apply for 2010. My ec's are three summers of internship at National Institute of Health and volunteer hours and shadowing MD's and other clubs and various things not medical related. I dont have any recommendation letters from a DO however.

should i apply for 2010?
thankyou for your help!!
qmcat

Postby CaribMD » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:47 pm

tramflap wrote:Your GPA is low, and your MCAT is average for DO matriculants. If you apply broadly and have good letters/extracurricular activities, then you have a shot. People do get in with lower stats. You can't get in unless you apply, so apply to many DO schools and see what happens. If you aren't accepted, then look into doing a post-bacc or MS degree, and try to improve your MCAT.

Good luck.

Unfortunatly I disagree with this.

3.0 is way too low for any US school hope, I'm sorry but the average stats are

DO 3.4 and MD 3.5 (3.6 of late)

I would never tell anyone to apply with a 3.0, I did tell someone to ry with a 3.1 but that is very low and does stand a good chance either.

I get pushed at times to say its ok and these lower stats like 3.1 and even 3.0 stand a chance, honestly they really do not. It is not an easy thing to predict who has a Good chance since grades and MCAT are only one factor but they are the cut off factor.

3.0 and 26 MCAT does not stand a chance against the growing competition.

You can go ahead and try, if you get accepted let us know, this is advice not right or wrong.

This is my thoughts:

1. Too late and too low stats for any real chance at acceptance at any US school
2. Post Bac would be one way to go
3. Caribbean is a good chance with the 3.0 and 26 (SGU, AUC and Ross)

If you do apply then good luck.

As much as I try to answer the posts here I'm busy too, sorry I did not pick up right away.

Carib.
CaribMD
The One
The One

Next

Return to Osteopathic Medicine (DO)