Should I apply now or Wait?

Issues specific to osteopathic medical education and practice as a DO.

Moderator: OlufunshoBY

Should I apply now or Wait?

Postby Helz1821 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:46 pm

Hi
So like so many other people on here I am wondering what my chances of getting in to a DO school are. I went to a private school on a division 1 athletic scholarship and was a chem major and got a 2.85 GPA (ouch i know). I then took a year and got a BIology degree at a different school but got a 3.73. I took 36 credit hours of biology in one year, most of which were 300 level and above. I am now in a post bac program which so far is going well. I have taken the MCAT but am waiting on scores to come in. My question is, shoudl I wait to apply till I get some grades in from my post bac (ie apply for starting in 2011) or just go ahead and try now? Will schools see how much I improved my GPA when I stopped participating in college athletics or will my first degree GPA just kill me? I have also volunteered and shadowed quite a bit. Thanks for any help
Helz1821

Re: Should I apply now or Wait?

Postby CaribMD » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:22 am

It's too late to apply this year.

For next cycle yes (2011).

I think you will be looking good for a DO school as long as your MCAT comes in over 28.

:mrgreen:
CaribMD
The One
The One

Re: Should I apply now or Wait?

Postby tramflap » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:00 pm

It is a bit late in the application cycle, but most schools are barely started with interviews. I would apply if your MCAT score is 25 or better. You have a markedly upward trend in your GPA, so that is a big plus.

There is no reason to take a year off if you don't have to (assuming you are chomping at the bit to get started). If money isn't an issue as far as paying for the application, and you score 25 or better on the MCAT, I would apply this year. Get your AACOMAS application complete, and submit it after you get your MCAT score back. That way, you don't waste any time, and you don't have to pay for an application if your MCAT score is less than desireable.

Good luck.
tramflap
Scutophile
Scutophile

Return to Osteopathic Medicine (DO)