WHY...

Issues specific to osteopathic medical education and practice as a DO.

Moderator: OlufunshoBY

WHY...

Postby pre-med girl » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:01 am

...do DO schools accept people with gpa's lower than those in MD schools? is it because it's a newer program?
pre-med girl

Re: WHY...

Postby CaribMD » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:48 am

pre-med girl wrote:...do DO schools accept people with gpa's lower than those in MD schools? is it because it's a newer program?

Has to do simply with the application pool ( the competition) if people with higher GPA's and MCATs would keep applying then the average would be higher.

It was not long ago a person with a 2.8 and 24 MCAT had a shot at DO schools now its higher, you should have a 3.2 and 27 MCAT at least.

so its changed over time.

Also many many premeds still hold to the old myths about DO's that they are different then MD Doctors. No they are the same.
CaribMD
The One
The One

Postby tramflap » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:11 pm

The gap is getting smaller every year as far as matriculant GPA and MCAT.

As an osteopathic medical student, i think that DO schools really look at the whole package, not just scores (I am a prime example of this). That may be another reason for the differences in GPA and MCAT. That being said, I am receiving an amazing education, and wouldn't do it any differently if I had the option.
tramflap
Scutophile
Scutophile

Postby OlufunshoBY » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:10 pm

to cap that off, You should always aim for a 4.0 and >30 MCAT scores. whether looking at DO or MD schools
OlufunshoBY
Fellow
Fellow

Postby pre-med girl » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:42 am

Thanks for the advice! :D
pre-med girl

Return to Osteopathic Medicine (DO)