another GPA question...

Issues specific to osteopathic medical education and practice as a DO.

Moderator: OlufunshoBY

another GPA question...

Postby crateofslugs » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:31 pm

Hey ya'll. I too have a GPA question.

By the time I apply, I'll have been to college twice, and gotten two Bachelors - a BA in literature and a BS in Biology. In the seven years between those two experiences, I took a few classes at a community college just for personal enrichment. Actually, I only really took one. Here's how it panned out.

French, 6 credits: W
French, 6 credits: A
Photography, 3 credits: NP

See the campus was a long commute for me, hence the initial withdraw on French and the final flaking on the photo class. At the time, med school was not in my mind.

How will the two GPA procedures (MD, DO) treat that NP? Could I take a 3 credit photo class at my local university and actually have that NP stricken from the record?, even though its another school?

One other thing... My grades are pretty good, but my fist semester of undergrad, I failed German. For DO schools, could I take a German class (once again, at a different school) and have that old F removed from my conscience? What if I can only find a 5 credit German Class (my small liberal arts school where I took the original German class had a 6 credit class.)

Thanks for any info. I'm getting more and more stoked to apply to DO schools the more I learn about them!
crateofslugs
Scutophile
Scutophile

Re: another GPA question...

Postby CaribMD » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:15 am

ok this is the thing, you can switch schools but you must report all schools attended and provide transcripts from all schools, to not do so is a lie by omission.

If you lie or cheat and get caught your dreams of being a Doctor are over.

So you and anyone, my answer is sure retake, same college or different just know you will have to report and then the two grades are averaged together. Its just the way it is.

I do not think these classes will cause you too much problem though. :wink:
CaribMD
The One
The One

Postby crateofslugs » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:03 pm

Oh believe me, I know the utmost in disclosure is necessary. I didn't know about all that when I fooled around with those enrichment oriented CC courses back in the day, nor had I planned to apply to medical school. But no great harm was done.

Here's the thing though - I know that for MD they just factor in any retakes like it might as well just be another class. But it seems from what I've been reading that DO apps actually replace crappy grades with happy grades from retakes (so to speak) and I'm wondering what the parameters are on that process.

Also, what is up with grades like NP? (and are there differences between how MD and DO apps treat them?) I've read conflicting things online. I've read for example, in some places, that AMCAS ignores NP's and in other places that AMCAS "might count them as an F." I've dug around for quite a while online trying to find some authoritative source on this but to no avail.
crateofslugs
Scutophile
Scutophile

Postby CaribMD » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:12 am

crateofslugs wrote:Oh believe me, I know the utmost in disclosure is necessary. I didn't know about all that when I fooled around with those enrichment oriented CC courses back in the day, nor had I planned to apply to medical school. But no great harm was done.

Here's the thing though - I know that for MD they just factor in any retakes like it might as well just be another class. But it seems from what I've been reading that DO apps actually replace crappy grades with happy grades from retakes (so to speak) and I'm wondering what the parameters are on that process.

Also, what is up with grades like NP? (and are there differences between how MD and DO apps treat them?) I've read conflicting things online. I've read for example, in some places, that AMCAS ignores NP's and in other places that AMCAS "might count them as an F." I've dug around for quite a while online trying to find some authoritative source on this but to no avail.

Honestly only AMCAS knows , and the Medical schools still will look at the transcripts too.
so this is individual so you will just have to apply in the end.
CaribMD
The One
The One

Return to Osteopathic Medicine (DO)