Do you think I would be able to get into a D.O school?

Issues specific to osteopathic medical education and practice as a DO.

Moderator: OlufunshoBY

Do you think I would be able to get into a D.O school?

Postby Snapple89 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:08 pm

I have a Cum. 3.2 GPA and a 34Q MCAT, but my science GPA is 2.8. Also, one DO school I'm interested in, Midwestern University in Chicago, mentioned that they do not want anything lower than a C- in required courses. I got a C- in one course but I retook the class and did better. Does my getting the C- disqualify me from even being considered or will the committee look at the new grade?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

quick add-on, do medical schools consider what University you went to? Would an applicant who went to a more prestigious/competitive University be favored over another applicant from a less prestigious school with slightly better grades
Snapple89

Re: Do you think I would be able to get into a D.O school?

Postby OlufunshoBY » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:05 pm

to answer your last question. Med sch wont look favorable on a student from prestigious sch if his/her grade is poor. It really doesn't matter much what sch u attend, but ur grades matter.

I think ur stat is good. not very good but its kind of a gray zone. Ur MCAT is high but GPA is low esp ur sci GPA. I would apply to many DO sch besides the one in chicago. U have to apply broad to give ur self a better chance. I think one C wont kill u, moreover u retook and did well.

Apply broadly and take every interview u get even in places u dont see urself going to. It will be unwise to put all ur focus on midwestern

Hope it helps
good luck
OlufunshoBY
Fellow
Fellow

Re: Do you think I would be able to get into a D.O school?

Postby tramflap » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:54 am

I would definitely apply. The retake effectively cancels out the C-, so that isn't a concern (AACOMAS uses the latest grade for retakes, so the C- won't affect your calculated GPA. It will still be seen, but trust me, it isn't a big deal). Your cumulative GPA is slightly below matriculant average, but that is definitely not a big deal. Your science GPA is a bit low, but your awesome MCAT shows that you know the stuff. If you have shadowing/volunteering, you are in great shape. Apply broadly, mostly because the schools get a ton of applications every year, and the more schools you apply to the better your chances.

As far as Prestige of your undergrad university, that doesn't matter. You have solid numbers, so stop worrying. I did the same when I was a pre-med, but had terrible numbers compared to you. One strength
I had was my extra curricular activities (as well as a good explanation for my numbers). I explained my weaknesses honestly, and my interviewers appreciated that. Two years later, I am a second year medical student, and I am doing even better than I thought I could do.

I don't mean to be long-winded, but this is the type of story I wish I got when I was a pre-med. It would have helped me sleep, that's for sure. Apply, apply, apply. You have a great chance, so go for it.
tramflap
Scutophile
Scutophile

Return to Osteopathic Medicine (DO)