DO Acceptance with Scores?

Issues specific to osteopathic medical education and practice as a DO.

Moderator: OlufunshoBY

DO Acceptance with Scores?

Postby dress » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:41 pm

Hi Everyone,
So just got my MCAT score back today feeling pretty bad about it
I got:
PS- 8
VR - 6
BS - 10
Overall- 24P
I took the July 17 MCAT and though the verbal was really hard and it shows in my score. I graduated in June and my cum GPA is 3.4 and Science GPA is 3.1. So will I have a chance for DO schools? I applied to about 15 DO schools and now that I got my MCAT score back, I'm not so sure what to do if I should retake or not since the verbal is pretty low..Well any help would be appreciated!
Thanks
dress

Re: DO Acceptance with Scores?

Postby twmcgill3 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:51 am

24 is the absolute minimum (he said he could probably work with someone with a 26 at that point) according to AT Still in AZ when I toured earlier this year. So it's not impossible, although I would say improbable if you don't have a stellar application otherwise. I would put most of the more established schools out of reach, but honestly you never know. I know Midwestern in AZ has increased class size to 250 while the MD school here form University of Arizona has also increased enrollment (by about 125 I think) so competition is fairly thin and the aforementioned AT Still is just now getting their 4th year in 2010 if I remember. So lots of seats out here in the Southwest.

If you want to increase you chances I would apply early, I would try to commit to a school you can tolerate, and really polish the other aspects.

Or just take the MCAT again and go for a better score which is more likely to land you a seat and probably some options. I personally recommend this, but if you really wanted to try to get by with a 24 I wouldn't blame you since right now I can attest to 2 schools that will probably look at it (for what that is worth... at least it will likely not be instantly put in the circular file), if applied to early and everything else is pretty good.
twmcgill3
Scutophile
Scutophile

Postby tramflap » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:02 pm

People get in every year with lower MCAT scores, so you have a shot. I would take every interview you get, and don't cancel one until you have an acceptance, preferably from a school you really want to go to.

If you think that you could do better on the MCAT, then sign up to take it again, and focus your studying on the verbal section (maybe a little on the physical sciences). That way, you show the schools that you really want to be in medical school.

For all 25 DO schools, the average matriculant MCAT is 25-26. That means that there are students that got scores on either side of that number. I can tell you that (at least at my school) they really do look at the whole person when interviewing, so numbers aren't everything. Keep applying, and good luck.
tramflap
Scutophile
Scutophile

Postby medschoolbound » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:46 pm

I was accepted to a D.O. school with a 24 MCAT, so you still have a chance. Your GPA tends to be on the low side, but if you put the right "spin" on your applications (like talk a lot about volunteer/shadowing experience), you'll be getting invitations to interview. D.O. schools like to know more about you, rather than just your scores. As far as your VR score being low, with a BS of 10, I really don't think your VR will be a deciding factor for an admissions committee.

If you're really uncomfortable with your score, you can always sign up and take it again. Good Luck!
medschoolbound

Postby dress » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:20 am

Thanks for the responses everyone!
I did sign up to take it again in Sept. Hopefully the VR and PS are better this time..

If you don't mind me asking, tramflap and medschoolbound - where do you go to school?

Thanks again
dress

Next

Return to Osteopathic Medicine (DO)