3.3 gpa MCAT score ???

Issues specific to osteopathic medical education and practice as a DO.

Moderator: OlufunshoBY

3.3 gpa MCAT score ???

Postby Hadi101 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:05 pm

so heres the deal, i have a 3.3 overall gpa BMS major, about to begin my senior year still havnt applied to med school and i dont plan on applying until next summer. my science gpa is even lower at 3.0. im hoping that by the time i apply next year i will a 3.4 overall. i was also planning on applying to a masters program or a postbac, but i will have just begun the program when i am applying. is that a good idea, or will med schools think that i am iffy about my decision to apply to med school. i was wondering if someone could help me please. What would be a good MCAT score to go with my GPA to be competitive for D.O school? or M.D? or even if its worth applying to an MD program with a 3.38-3.4, which is what my GPA should be at by the time i apply. THANK YOU!
Hadi101

Re: 3.3 gpa MCAT score ???

Postby Hadi101 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:07 pm

Also, im shooting for 30 to 33 on my MCAT. ive been taking a kaplan course, and i dont feel like thats out of my reach. But that aside, what would be the minimum score to be concidered for a spot in either DO or MD school?
Hadi101

Postby JMCdoc311 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:45 am

As far as MD schools go, I think your GPA may be a little bit too low to justify spending all that money on applications fees. I think you can still get into a D.O. school if you have a good MCAT and good EC's. Also, what state do you live in and what schools have you looked into? I think you have a good shot at schools like Lake Erie College of Osteo. Med. Post-bac is a great option, but keep in mind the classes are much more difficult than your undergrad pre-reqs. You'll be fine to get into one with your GPA. I would take the MCAT and then talk to your pre-med committee and evaluate the strength of your application. I think youre still a decent candidate for DO/Caribbean MD. I would do DO if you have the choice, however. Good luck!
JMCdoc311
Scutophile
Scutophile

Postby Vince1986 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:08 am

Last edited by Vince1986 on Sun May 29, 2011 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vince1986
Scutophile
Scutophile

Postby obbobbo » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:44 am

I had a 3.35-3.4 at the time of applying to medical school. I was able to get into 4 schools with a 26 MCAT. DO schools get back to you very quickly and I quit filling out applications before I had sent in all my secondary applications. Of the 7 schools that I sent secondary apps to, 4 interviewed me. I guess what I am trying to say is just do as good as you can and give it a shot. I was getting 29 and 30 on practice MCATs but ended with a 26 on test day. As far as I am concerned I ended right where I wanted. About 5 years ago I decided that I wanted to be a DO and not an MD... no matter what I got on the MCAT I was only applying to DO schools. I am loving it at LMU-DCOM so far! Good luck with your choices!
obbobbo

Return to Osteopathic Medicine (DO)