Can D.O.'s really be surgeons?

Issues specific to osteopathic medical education and practice as a DO.

Moderator: OlufunshoBY

Can D.O.'s really be surgeons?

Postby JMCdoc311 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:40 am

Im an undergrad student interested in the osteopathic philosophy and practice. Im going to be a junior and i have a 3.7 cumulative gpa and 4.0 science. I'm a research intern at a well-known pennsylvania hospital. If i attend PCOM, do i really have a shot at surgery? I've been told there is a strong stigma against D.O.'s particularly in the surgical realm. I know i have the grades and ec's to get into an MD school, but i like the idea of osteopathy. Suggestions?
JMCdoc311
Scutophile
Scutophile

Re: Can D.O.'s really be surgeons?

Postby OlufunshoBY » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:26 pm

you can be a surgeon even if u go to a DO school. I will urge you to take USMLE though in addition to COMLEX (Equivalent of USMLE for DO students) if u looking into big allopathic programs.

The moral of the story is, as a DO student, you can get into any residency u want, you just have to work towards it.

Fisrt, focus on getting a good score on MCAT.
OlufunshoBY
Fellow
Fellow

Postby JMCdoc311 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:12 pm

Thanks for the advice. I definitely wouldnt say I'm looking into "big" allopathic surgery residencies. I just want to get one somewhere. Im def even open to osteopathic surgery residencies (i know many exist.. pcom has one). As far as the MCAT, any study suggestions? I'm taking the remaining 6 pre-req courses this year over 2 semesters and then I plan on taking the MCAT in april. Im not going to do a prep course because i have not learned all the material yet.
JMCdoc311
Scutophile
Scutophile

Postby OlufunshoBY » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:55 am

learn all the material. then take a prep course to review all materials and do the exam. The worst thing u could ever do is rush into that exam. take ur time.
OlufunshoBY
Fellow
Fellow

Postby obbobbo » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:48 am

You bet they can. I have worked with many DO surgeons. You just have to work hard and test well. A DO degree doesn't limit you (no matter what others may say!).
obbobbo

Return to Osteopathic Medicine (DO)