Med School or Physical Therapy

For applicants who have been out of school for a few years, or are planning to have a family in medical school, or have other non-traditional qualities.

Moderators: CaribMD, AL_emt

Med School or Physical Therapy

Postby SGfolo » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:53 am

I've been losing sleep for the last few months trying to decide whether to go to med school or keep going for PT. I have the grades to do med school, my predicament is whether it's worth the debt, time, and change in life style. I've always wanted a job where I'm helping people for a living. However, I don't want to not sell myself short of what I can actually achieve. Thus I have been leaning towards opthamology. It has a decent life style for being a doctor. However, my physician has been trying to convince me to reconsider because she is in a pile of debt and the hours or residency and starting the career are obviously quite cumbersome. PT is also a great rewarding perfession with less schooling and 100k less of debt. However I'm also making 130k less a year to pay off that debt.
I would truly appreciate any advice anyone has for me.
Thank you,
Sam G

Excuse any grammar errors I'm trying to type from my iPod :roll:
SGfolo

Re: Med School or Physical Therapy

Postby CaribMD » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:22 am

OK if you go to medical school you cannot let the debt load scare you too much.

But wanting to go and being dedicated to the field are two different things,
to put it the way I feel,
In 20 years where will you be? Will you look back and say "I could of been a Doctor and I wanted and want to be a doctor"? If the answer is yes and you let the debt scare you away, what is money to the satisfying your dream? No one dies saying they wished they had more money, they die saying they wished they would of done........fill in the blank.

(I worked as a Hospice RN for 9 years believe me my prospective is way different on life then before)

Most Docs will make 225k or more a year you can handle the debt.
CaribMD
The One
The One

Postby Amigone753 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:55 pm

I am currently a physical therapist and have been for the past 4 years. I would love to be in your position right now before too much schooling is underway and a decision can be made. Currently, I am trying to figure out if it would be feasible for me to return to school despite the loans I will incur (on top of my PT schooling loans!). The best advice I have to give is to shadow both and really know what you are getting into and that you will love what you will do. Don't worry about the loans, a friend of mine from PT school ended up with ridiculous amounts of loans so don't let it be about the money. In the end, you have to do what you love and what will challenge you every day. Good luck! :)
~Jess
Amigone753

Postby pciatto » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:11 am

Physical therapists (PTs) help patients, including accident victims and individuals with disabling conditions such as low-back pain, arthritis, heart disease, fractures, head injuries, and cerebral palsy, by providing services that restore function, improve mobility, relieve pain, and prevent or limit permanent physical disabilities. They restore, maintain, and promote overall fitness and health.
Physical therapists (PTs) held about 173,000 jobs in 2006. Some physical therapists held two or more jobs, which makes the number of jobs held higher than the actual number of PTs. Most PTs work in hospitals or in offices of other health practitioners.
So do not worry.
pciatto

Postby abbottabel » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:54 am

I don't have any idea about med school or physical therapy. I think you can consult with a experienced therapist for physical therapy.
abbottabel

Return to Non-Traditional Premeds