what are my chances of DO school with several retakes?

Issues specific to osteopathic medical education and practice as a DO.

Moderator: OlufunshoBY

what are my chances of DO school with several retakes?

Postby idkrst » Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:06 pm

have decided that I want to apply to osteopathic school. My problem is my gpa. I am graduating in December with a degree in biology and a minor in chem. During my first couple years, I was not sure what I wanted to do so I did not try as hard and got a lot of B's and a few Cs. I was also plagued with a boy who kept breaking my heart, and it affected my school work.

I got a C in bio 1, a C in chem 2, and a C in bio2, and a C in physics 1(which was taken at a community college so I did not think it mattered at the time). I also switched out of biology my freshman year and took an intro physics class that is not relevant to med school and got a C. I am retaking bio 1, chem 2, and possibly the intro physics class this fall and will get the A's. i have retaken two other classes. i have already done organic and biochem, and did well in both of them (had a very high B in biochem, and a high B in organic). i am also taking immunology and endocrinology in the fall. in december, i will graduate with a 3.0 overall and about a 3.2 science gpa with the retakes calculated. i am also considering retaking bio2 and physics1 in the spring semester along with biochem 2(bc i really liked biochem). that would bring my gpa up a little bit.

what are my chances of getting accepted to osteopathic schools? what about the lower tier schools? also, is there a penalty for a lot of retaken classes (about 5)? what are my chances? is this a lost cause?
idkrst

Re: what are my chances of DO school with several retakes?

Postby CaribMD » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:23 pm

I got a C in bio 1, a C in chem 2, and a C in bio2, and a C in physics 1(which was taken at a community college so I did not think it mattered at the time). I also switched out of biology my freshman year and took an intro physics class that is not relevant to med school and got a C. I am retaking bio 1, chem 2, and possibly the intro physics class this fall and will get the A's.

WOW wished you would have posted in premed because you are on the wrong track here

Retaking classes does not help and is a huge red flag to ADCOM's

You see all grades count, a C and A are a B at best. Your Science GPA? 3.2? How? You have to include all science courses ever taken into that GPA not just the prereqs.

Over All GPA too its the same all grades ever earned the 1st and second (retaken grade)

So you may not even have a Med school GPA of 3.0

Sorry but you need to know these things.

3.0 will not cut it for US MD and DO schools its way to low

You will need to look at the Caribbean schools or a Post Bac.

Good Luck.
CaribMD
The One
The One

Re: what are my chances of DO school with several retakes?

Postby tramflap » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:42 pm

I was in a similar position to you, and am now a 2nd year DO student.

AACOMAS DOES replace grades for retakes. If you get A's in the classes you retake, it WILL improve your overall GPA. The above poster is apparently not aware of how the AACOM application service works (no offense, but this is posted in the AACOMAS info book.) AMCAS does not replace retake grades, it averages them. This is one way in which the application services differ.

Too many people want to ask if they are good enough to get in/whether or not they should apply. The answer is that we don't know! The only way is to apply. I had a garbage gpa, but the rest of my app was solid. I applied, and got in.

To any pre-med that is looking for an answer: APPLY! You are wasting time asking if you should apply here, because we aren't admissions officers. If you apply and are rejected, the ADCOM officers will tell you what to do to become competitive. People with low stats get in every year, it just is less common than people in the middle of the bell curve. The worst thing you can do is waste time doing nothing. Getting a no from a DO school is not the end of the world, it can help you figure out what to do to get a big YES for the next cycle.

idkrst, APPLY! If your GPA is below that of the average matriculant but your MCAT is solid, then you have a good shot. Don't make the same mistake as me and chicken out. I got in with a sub-par GPA, and am doing extremely well. I should have applied earlier, but oh well. Good luck!
tramflap
Scutophile
Scutophile

Return to Osteopathic Medicine (DO)