Switching from nursing to medicine

For applicants who have been out of school for a few years, or are planning to have a family in medical school, or have other non-traditional qualities.

Moderators: CaribMD, AL_emt

Switching from nursing to medicine

Postby LouRN » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:40 pm

Hi this is my first post.

I am currently working as an RN for 1.5 years but found out that even though nursing is great and get along with my patients, I believe my heart and mind are dedicated to science and medicine. I am having a dilemma. I am not sure what school to go into for my pre-med course requirements that will give me the best chances for medical school. I am debating between a 4 year university(University of houston) vs a private ivy league school(rice). The reason is because of the cost and possibility of the harder course work I might expect from a Ivy league school (Not sure if it is) since I'd be working as a full time nurse. Should I considered moving?

I also have completed some pre-med course work at CC with 2 withdrawals (one is marketing and english 2)and am afraid that it might be looked down upon them but it was only bio 1,2 , chem 1 and English.Should I retake these? I want to complete the rest of my pre-med course work at a 4 year university.

I have a 3.85GPA on Community College and a 3.7GPA -BSN. I am a 23 y/o foreign Hispanic guy just trying to find some meaning to his life to pursue his love of nature and medicine and now that i am older and more mature I know that I can commit myself to this. I believe my curiosity will not be full-filled with just nursing. I have considered doing Nurse Practitioner if it all fails but I know that I can offer so much more.

I am also going work for the research department for the cancer center at the medical center and with my nursing background they are always looking for researchers with my degree and I am also planning on volunteering at a county hospital.
What are my chances if i am able to get All A's in pre-med courses and get a 30 on my MCAT?

I am keeping all this secret with my co workers and most of my family because I know how people envy. The only person to ever support me in anything is my mother and my best friend. I feel bad for leaving such a trusted profession and I appreciate every nurse out there who does it. I can promise I will be nice to all nurses :) because I've lived through it.

I am considering DO as well but is it the same as MD?
Any advice would be great :)
LouRN

Re: Switching from nursing to medicine

Postby CaribMD » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:07 pm

Hi,

OK If i was in your shoes,

What you have to understand is this, All univerisities for the sake of argument are looked at the same to the medical schools.

Your GPA is the quality, Your MCAT is a reflection of your ability to solve problems

So and IVY league school will not really matter that much.

Any university, any major,

so all you have to do now is see how much of the
1yr bio, chem, ochem, physics you have done and get into a University to finish the rest, your BSN is fine for medical school, no new degree is needed, the GPA is excellent you did well.

Medical School,
Fluent in Spanish? Want to go to a US medical school? How about focus on Puerto Rico? They are US schools and have LCME accreditation. You will be a US grad 100%

OK if not, you should be ok for US MD and DO schools

Hows that?

You need Volunteering, anything since you have Patient contact experience.

Hows that?

Your almost there really if you start this Sept I see you applying in 2010 or 2011, really not that for off since you are more then half way there already.

What you worry about I do not think are worries.

Good Luck :mrgreen:
That's Dr. Carib now! Graduated Aureus U of Med 2011
CaribMD
The One
The One