cancer survivor seeking acceptance...

Issues specific to osteopathic medical education and practice as a DO.

Moderator: OlufunshoBY

cancer survivor seeking acceptance...

Postby prospectivesurgeon » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:48 pm

Hello,

I am new to this forum and wanted to get an idea of my chances of acceptance. I go to Cal State University, Northridge; my cumulative gpa is 3.54; my science gpa is 3.38; MCAT is pending. I was planning on applying to both MD and DO schools, but am more excited about the DO schools. I have shadowing experience with a DO (50+ hours), research experience at the City of Hope, volunteering at an ED (50+ hours), have worked part-time all throughout college, and am a Stage 3B Hodgkin's Lymphoma (cancer) survivor...this has been my driving force and determination. Could you guys give me an idea of what I should expect from both DO and MD schools?

Thank you very much for your help.
prospectivesurgeon

Re: cancer survivor seeking acceptance...

Postby OlufunshoBY » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:47 am

your PS can be a very useful tool for you to get admin committee in your favor based on ur health situation. DO seem more plausible than MD schools. But MD is not out of the question if your MCAT is high (>30).

good luck
OlufunshoBY
Fellow
Fellow

Postby prospectivesurgeon » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:58 pm

thanks a lot. i appreciate the feedback; are there any other thoughts/suggestions?
prospectivesurgeon

Postby tramflap » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:46 pm

You have a great chance if getting in, as long as you don't BOMB the MCAT. Your history is huge as far as adding to your application. APPLY!

Even if your MCAT is below average, you have a great shot. Waste no more time, apply!!!
tramflap
Scutophile
Scutophile

Return to Osteopathic Medicine (DO)