Ohio Medical Assistant schools?

EMT, Radiology Tech, ECG Tech - career options and education discussion.

Moderator: CaribMD

Ohio Medical Assistant schools?

Postby JZurface » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:00 pm

I've been wanting to get my foot in the door, but not be loaded down with course work at the moment. I'd possibly go to school later to pursue something larger than a med assistant, but for now I need light load. I've been considering a medical assistant program, but I've heard alot of small colleges are either not certified, or they fail to be recognized as an actual medical school. I was wondering if anyone could give me guidance as to a good school in ohio that plausible for this career field. I'm all ears ^.^
JZurface

Re: Ohio Medical Assistant schools?

Postby CaribMD » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:07 am

Medical assisting and medical school are two different things.

You can go to any accredited school for Medical Assisting and its a certificate, you are not licensed doing this job. It is a low level of skills under a LPN or RN.

an MA is a lot times trained by the Doctor in his office, I plan on doing this myself in practice.

If you are thinking of a PA (Physician Assistant) this is a high level of practice and you are licensed just as an RN. Then you would attend only an accredited PA program since none other exists.

I hope this helps.
CaribMD
The One
The One

Postby JZurface » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:40 pm

So, I don't want to be a physician's assistant. I don't have the time for something that involved until I pay off some previous loans (almost done) So, I'm considering Northern Kentucky University for a MA course they have there. I would just receive a certificate for graduation, not an associates is what you're saying. After that I'd have to find an entry level position requiring a MA and train under a doctor as opposed to going as a physician's assistant for a degree? Am I on the right track or no?
JZurface

Postby CaribMD » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:44 pm

I do not think you understand Since you said Kentucky heres a sample of Medical Assisting:

http://www.bluegrass.kctcs.edu/ah/medical_assisting/

The Medical Assisting Program at Bluegrass Community and Technical College offers a diploma program for the medical assisting student. Our school currently offers an Associate Degree in Applied Science, which the medical assisting student can pursue as long as they meet required test scores prior to admission. Additional options include: Medical Office Clinical Assistant Certificate, Medical Office Administrative Assistant Certificate, and Medical Office Insurance Billing and Coding Certificate.

In this case its a AA degree but understand where I am most of the Docs do not pay the office staff much, most make around 22k to tops 30k a year. You would make more as an LPN, better yet you could make a lot more as a 2 year ADN (RN) 50 to 60k a year, even a Doctors office will pay an RN at least 40k a year.
CaribMD
The One
The One

Postby ACA » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:29 pm

JZurface wrote:I've been wanting to get my foot in the door, but not be loaded down with course work at the moment. I'd possibly go to school later to pursue something larger than a med assistant, but for now I need light load. I've been considering a medical assistant program, but I've heard alot of small colleges are either not certified, or they fail to be recognized as an actual medical school. I was wondering if anyone could give me guidance as to a good school in ohio that plausible for this career field. I'm all ears ^.^

Hello JZurface,

Advanced Colleges of America (ACA) offers a hybrid-online Advanced Medical Assisting program that may be perfectly suited for you. As a hybrid college, we use both online technologies and on-ground clinical sites to ensure that our students obtain the finest and most relevant education. Not only is this program time sensitive and flexible, but our high yield clinicals may also be done on a part-time basis. As a student of ACA, you will enjoy the luxury of completing your online courses from the comfort of your own home, while your clinical externships will be completed at hospitals and clinics in your local area.

Here is an overview of the Medical Specialty Track program:

Advanced Medical Assisting – Medical Specialty Track (AMA – MST):
IDEAL CANDIDATE – individuals who are looking to secure their career as a Medical Assistant with >3x the clinical experience when compared to the average Medical Assistants.
PROGRAM SUMMARY – This program was designed by teaching attending physicians who are leaders in medical education. Utilizing some of the fundamental components of education obtained in medical schools, graduates of this program are able to obtain advanced primary care specialization in the fields of Family Medicine, Internal Medicine or Pediatrics. In addition to the most up to date and interactive online didactics, AMA – MST program is equipped with 13 weeks of hands-on clinical externships across the United States.

If you have any further questions regarding our Advanced Medical Assisting-Medical Specialty Track program here at ACA, feel free to private message me.
ACA
Scutophile
Scutophile

Next

Return to Health Technicians